Transferring files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has an old pc running win 98, I think it's an Athlon 450 or something.
I am going to give her my old pentium 750 as she keeps having problems with hers. She has a couple of hundred photos on her harddrive but no cd writer. Would it be possible for me to remove her harddrive, put it in my machine and then transfer the filed across onto the newer harddrive? I think both machines run win 98.

Sponsored Links
It might be much easier to buy a 'Data-transferrer' (memory stick). You do need an usb port for that and maybe also a driver (available form the net).

I had a same problem when having to transfer lots of data from our 'home-pc' (windows 98) to our shop pc (Windows XP Pro) and the local supplier of the pc came with this solution and even provided me with the driver on a floppy-disk (great local service ;)

Yes, it is possible.

Have a look in the (newer) machine and locate the ribbon cable connected between the motherboard and hard drive. If it has a spare connector, this is where the drive from the old machine will connect. If there is another device connected to the spare, remove it temporarily

On the back of the drives, there should be a set of jumpers. On the drive currently in the new machine, make sure it is set to Master (it should be already). On the drive from the old machine, set the jumper to Slave. Connect the data and power cables and switch on.

If the drive is not recognised, you may have to enter the BIOS as the machine starts up and set the drive parameters. You should have an auto detect feature to simplfy this.

Once all is well, the drive will appear in My_Computer and you can move the files.

If you need more details, just post back.

An alternative, if the CD drive is connected to it's own channel (cable)remove the connection from the CD drive and connect the old drive to this. The jumper settings should them be correct without changing them.

Sponsored Links
Back