Transformer 110v not working. Can I check if fixable before buying a new one?

OK looks like you've got a sh1te el-cheapo transformer that puts out 110v only when fully loaded. ie extremely poor regulation. As I've said many times before "A CE mark means bu**er all" when it comes to quality. Alternatively, one could suggest that the transformer reduction ratio (nominally 2:1) has decreased due to a shortened primary turn, or turns, the effect of which would be to increase the secondary voltage. But this would also greatly increase the primary current (transformers just love shortened turns). And now we might be zeroing in on why the unit tripped out in the first place.

I will bin damn. My worry no is that I have broken my equipment. One drill only worked for 2 second and stopped and the hilti drill was behaving strange. On your experience has the extra voltage damaged the Tools or will work with a new transformer? Damn piece of **** this transformer

Sponsored Links
Each read is 74v on the outlet socket of the transformer.
That is far too high. Checked mine (the one in the video linked earlier) - with 240V in and no load connected, output is 59-0-59 or about 7% high, which is entirely expected.

Yours is about 35% high, which is excessive.

Eric, for this meter i presumed the diode test was a basic direction of diode test, and does not provide a diode threshold measurement.

Mains voltage test is a good idea to get basic calibration and also see if the meters 'True RMS' AC versus DC measurement differentiation is working.
SFK
Watch the report, it seems it does show threshold voltage.

I think the transformer is faulty, but since the meter is suspect I am uncertain.

If there are shorted turns I would expect it to trip everytime it's.powered, OR it would make a lot of noise and get very hot.

My 3Kva reads 60/60 off load and 58/58 powering a 700W non loaded drill.

I doubt 150v has damaged any tools, I've seen 110v tools running on 230v on a number of ocassions without apparent problems.

Sponsored Links
Turn it on with no load/device on the outputs. If there are shortened primary turns the mains input overload device will eventually trip out. You still haven't explained the circumstances of why the unit tripped out originally. Was the transformer supplying a device and if so for how long.

If there are shorted turns I would expect it to trip everytime it's.powered, OR it would make a lot of noise and get very hot.

I doubt 150v has damaged any tools, I've seen 110v tools running on 230v on a number of ocassions without apparent problems.

After replacing the fuse my RCD tripped once and then only a normal zzzzzzzzzzzzz noise which is the normal.

Turn it on with no load/device on the outputs. If there are shortened primary turns the mains input overload device will eventually trip out. You still haven't explained the circumstances of why the unit tripped out originally. Was the transformer supplying a device and if so for how long.

I have been turning on with no load/device for the last few days to provide the test and reading you guys are suggesting.

The transformer was working fine and left on site for few days and found with the fuse on the plug broken. Not sure what happened. I don`t think someone have overloaded it. Problem is that I have never heard a transformer providing more voltage than it was supposed to do.

There should be a check or reason to check what happen being this massive roll of copper:D

I would believe you are right and will only found out when get a transformer working fine or a new one. I wouldn`t plug again on these condition and I doubt a 110v tools would run on 230 without burning

I would believe you are right and will only found out when get a transformer working fine or a new one. I wouldn`t plug again on these condition and I doubt a 110v tools would run on 230 without burning
You'd be surprised how resiliant powertools are. Obviously they will have a shortened life but it's unlikely to be an instant failure.

One of the companies I worked for had a 110v jigsaw in the workshop with a 13A plug and we all used it with no concerns for several years until it was discovered for PAT. The silly thing is the workshop had more 110v sockets than 13A.

You'd be surprised how resiliant powertools are. Obviously they will have a shortened life but it's unlikely to be an instant failure.

One of the companies I worked for had a 110v jigsaw in the workshop with a 13A plug and we all used it with no concerns for several years until it was discovered for PAT. The silly thing is the workshop had more 110v sockets than 13A.
Did it cut twice as fast .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back