Transformer for Showerforce 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The transformer for my Showerforce 2000 shower has stopped working. I have looked around and I don't think I can get an identical replacement. The transformer has the following ratings :-
INPUT 230/240V ~ 50-60Hz
OUTPUT 24V ~ 100VA
Can anyone tell me where I might be able to get one...OR would a transformer with similar ratings such as this one on ebay be OK ? : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transform...Supplies_ET&hash=item3a690e9a45#ht_500wt_1180

The transformer is sited in the loft.

Thanks for any help

Tony

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Are you sure that what you've got in the loft is just a bare transformer, not a regulated power supply of some sort?

What does it do?

Dose it look like the transformer on eBay?

The transformer you have found does seem to fit the bill but it states 21v and maybe that will be too low. It will also need an enclosure and some soldering so I would not class as a standard DIY job.
If you look here you will see how transformers are also rated in regulation in this case 10% which is how much the voltage will dip when the load is applied. RS is considered as expensive sure there are cheaper suppliers but they do give full details.
The one shown has two windings both would be needed to give a 100VA. I would not get the RS one shown as it needs connecting with correct configuration but I wanted to show example of where the volt drop is shown.

I would be looking for one designed for the shower rather than playing around trying to make others fit and do the job.

OK I see the problem.
showerforce_2000.jpg

Number 18 is listed as NEWT-SP-086-0106 OBSOLETE - Transformer
From the diagram it would seem it only powers the motor so not too hard to find replacement but on an internet search the only ready boxed version cost more than a new shower.
At one time you could get bell transformers with 8, 16, and 24 volt outputs but can't find any big enough now which have an enclosure they are all din rail mount which means you also need a box.
Although these
R535771-01.jpg
don't need soldering they still need to be put in a box and at £36 not cheap.
See what others come up with!

Sponsored Links
The existing transformer is almost certainly an isolating transformer.

Make sure that any replacement also is - also check you have an RCD on thet shower circuit, just in case ;)

Yes it is a transformer - see reply from Ericmark below

Are you sure that what you've got in the loft is just a bare transformer, not a regulated power supply of some sort?

What does it do?

Dose it look like the transformer on eBay?

Yes, but there are different types of transformer. You need to be careful.
That 24volts may be DC, not AC.

Pls respond to BAS's questions.

OK I see the problem.
showerforce_2000.jpg

Number 18 is listed as NEWT-SP-086-0106 OBSOLETE - Transformer
From the diagram it would seem it only powers the motor so not too hard to find replacement but on an internet search the only ready boxed version cost more than a new shower.
At one time you could get bell transformers with 8, 16, and 24 volt outputs but can't find any big enough now which have an enclosure they are all din rail mount which means you also need a box.
Although these
R535771-01.jpg
don't need soldering they still need to be put in a box and at £36 not cheap.
See what others come up with!

That is exactly the problem Eric. I either need to replace transformer with a similar one...I think the one you have suggested may be OK with an rcd in the circuit. OR I replace whole shower unit with a new power shower - mains voltage with an earth (slight problem here is that I would have to drill 2 more holes in the wall for the hot and cold water feeds as the current positions do not match any existing power showers as far as I know) - cost around £150. OR I go for a floor mounted shower pump which will provide pressure for both the showers in the bathroom and the en-suite (these are adjacent, so not too much plumbing). The cost is a bit more here, but I think the end result may be better. The shower in the bathroom is a mains powered TRiton power shower which works OK, but I do find it quite noisy, whereas I believe the floor mounted pump may be a lot quieter? If it will work OK, I think the transformer you have suggested at £36 may be the best answer for now....(until I re-do the whole bathroom in about a years time... :D )

thanks for all replies - great help as usual

Tony

Yes, but there are different types of transformer. You need to be careful.
That 24volts may be DC, not AC.

Pls respond to BAS's questions.

Yes, I take your point - I did not mean to sound dismissive. I believe the Shower force 2000 transformer outputs 24v DC. I hope this is correct. Is there a way of telling from the ratings on the transformer? :confused:

The type of output should be labelled on the transformer if it is a free standing unit. Only if it is a integral part of an assembled unit could it be left un-labelled.

Transformers provide AC, if the item provides DC then it is a transformer AND rectifier or it is an electronic power supply unit.

Can you provide a photo of the old transformer where the label can be seen ?

24V ~ suggests AC

24V = suggests DC

I cant find a photograph of the shower, but the line drawing posted above looks very similar/identical to a power shower that was fitted in my parents house in the mid 90's

It too had a failed transformer, and it was replaced with a standard 150VA 24v bare isolating transformer.

Something like this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/control-panel-transformers/0504151/?origin=PSF_222113|cav

if it is the same unit, it defo takes AC, as theres a small PCB inside with a bridge rectifier strapped to the water pipe as a heatsink (which also appears in the diagram, item 10) which also failed at one point, due to no-one pointing out on installation that the shower has a maximum run time of 15mins with a 1hr cool down period.

I believe the Shower force 2000 transformer outputs 24v DC. I hope this is correct. Is there a way of telling from the ratings on the transformer? :confused:

Believe isn't good enough. The eBAY and RS links above point to unsuitable transformers.
Those are just straight trannies with no rectification.

You'll need to crawl in the loft and take a good macro picture of the transformer so we can have a look.

Before buying a new transformer:

a. are you sure the transformer has actually failed?
b. has it failed because of some other fault within the shower unit itself?

Before buying a new transformer:

a. are you sure the transformer has actually failed?
b. has it failed because of some other fault within the shower unit itself?

I found that the fuse in the transformer was blown (no continuity across fuse). A spare fuse was taped inside the cover of the transformer - I tested this and it was OK. So tried the transformer plugged into mains with the new fuse. Normally, there is a slight "hum" and you can feel the cover get a little warm. This did not occur. I tested the output with a multimeter and get a reading of 1 on the AC V mm setting and a reading of 0 on the DC V mm setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back