Transformers failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please bear with me as I am not an electrical expert. I recently had the whole house rewired. This included putting in spotlights (downlights). However, I have experienced problems with the transformers failing.

Does it make a difference between cheap and more expensive transformers? What would a cheap transformer cost vs a more expensive one?

From what I have been told the electrician who did the wiring used cheap transformers. How can you tell whether it is a cheap quality transformer?

Any assistance or advise anyone can provide would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
However, I have experienced problems with the transformers failing.
Does each one do one light, or multiple?

They aren't overloaded?

Are you using dimmers?

Does it make a difference between cheap and more expensive transformers?
Generally.

From what I have been told the electrician who did the wiring used cheap transformers.
Cheap, middling, or hand-made out of cryogenic components by Russ Andrews himself and cleaned with the tears of Essex virgins - it's his responsibility to replace them, assuming you haven't been misusing them.

How can you tell whether it is a cheap quality transformer?
Price?

Make?

Any assistance or advise anyone can provide would be helpful.
Get your electrician to replace them. If he has to keep on doing that he might put better ones in.

Each Transformer only does 1 light.

Not sure what you mean by overloaded.

The ones that failed don't have dimmers.

The actual transformer used is:
- Make: Avenue 60VA Dimmable Transformer
- Unsure how much it cost as electrician supplied

Problem is electrician wants me to pay each time one needs replacing.

I think he used cheap ones which have smaller life span, so that one he could save money.

Just wanted to know if this is a possibility.

were the transformers his idea or yours? you would be better with mains led lamps. they might cost more to buy but you will make that back on the electricity and replacement lamp costs.

Sponsored Links
I had no say in the transformers. I am just finding out now because they are failing.

if it's within the first year he should be replacing for free. get yourself a new electrician.

Cheap transformers tend to buzz a little more than expensive and also have a poor loop impedance but other wise very little difference and I still have a battery charger bought some 30 years ago.

However with a switch mode power supply it will likely have capacitors with are likely electrolyte and as such have a limited life. How long is hard to tell but would guess 4 - 10 years.

Most quartz extra low voltage lamps use switch mode power supplies to control the RMS output to 12 volt as either too high or too low will reduce the lamp life.

Temperature will clearly effect the life of the capacitor so if getting hot the life will be reduced. As to expensive v cheap there are clearly well made and poorly made goods but as to if the quality is reflected in the price is another question.

As already mentioned Russ Andrews charges massive prices but it unlikely the product is any better than a cheaper one he's just greedy.

I have replaced 4 transformers in the first 18 months. This is of a total of 20 lights. And only about 14 of the lights are used regulary.

Are they, or the recessed fittings, covered in insulation material?

Avenue is an own brand of a company called MEDLOCK they are a bit of a budget brand, though medlocks might possibly replace them free of charge provding they were installed correctly and not buried in insulation

It sounds to me as if he didn't use transformers at all. Transformers don't often fail. He has used switch mode power supplies, sometimes wrongly called electronic transformers (there is no such thing).
Get real transformers, or better still go for 240 volt LEDs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back