Transformers failing

Cut your loses now and replace the low voltage fittings with 230v fittings and get rid of the transormer situation before you end up replacing them all over time.

I havent installed a 12v downlight for some time now, for a number of reasons, much prefer 230v.

Sponsored Links
eveares";p="3233397 said:
Not sure what you mean by overloaded.
:rolleyes: :oops:

An overloaded transformer is when a transformer has a load grater than what it is rated for. (i.e. A single 50w transformer running 2 50w lights)

On a more serious note, transformers can fail if they get to hot such as by having insulation around them.

I personally like these from tlc: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html[/quote

Which, once again, are NOT transformers.

It is possible the downlighters came in a kit with the transformer included, a lot of these suppliers do a contracters pack of say 6 lights/ transformers combined.
Avenue are in the same leaque as aurora in my veiw and probarly made by a major manuacturer and rebranded, contact LITEPLAN or MEDLOCK they may be able to assist

Sponsored Links
It is possible the downlighters came in a kit with the transformer included, a lot of these suppliers do a contracters pack of say 6 lights/ transformers combined.
Avenue are in the same leaque as aurora in my veiw and probarly made by a major manuacturer and rebranded, contact LITEPLAN or MEDLOCK they may be able to assist

If that was the case he would have had transformers, but he didn't have any transformers.

I thought transformers were rated in VA

They are rated in VA, but 1VA = 1W when on single phase with a power factor of 1.

I used watts for simplicity reasons.

They step the voltage down, provide electrical isolation and work on electro-magnetic induction - A Transformer!

They step the voltage down, provide electrical isolation and work on electro-magnetic induction - A Transformer!

The item you linked to did not work on electromagnetic induction. It was labelled electronic transformer and there is no such thing. It was a switch mode power supply.
About half the posts on this thread have been about this and you still do not understand.

The item you linked to did not work on electromagnetic induction. It was labelled electronic transformer and there is no such thing. It was a switch mode power supply.
About half the posts on this thread have been about this and you still do not understand.
I know what a switch mode power supply is, it regulates the voltage by rapidly switching the power on and off electronically to maintain the set voltage.

Even if it is a switch mode power supply and not a true transformer, they are still reliable and are fine to use. We have moved on from the days of heavy toroidal transformers.

Even if it is a switch mode power supply and not a true transformer, they are still reliable and are fine to use. We have moved on from the days of heavy toroidal transformers.

The subject of this thread seems to imply otherwise.

I installed 22x 60 va toroidal transformers in a basement flat in 1989, had to replace one last weekend ….good old newies !

:LOL:

DS

I thought transformers were rated in VA

They are rated in VA, but 1VA = 1W when on single phase with a power factor of 1.

I used watts for simplicity reasons.

sorry, for a minute i thought winston the transformer expert had slipped up, but it was his dodgy quoting again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back