Transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not know a lot about electrics so I am hoping someone can help. I have just had a new bathroom fitted with six downlights each light being 20 volts. They came in a multipack with a transformer and the electrician duly fitted them. All was well for about three weeks then the lights went off. He told me the transformer had gone and this happens quite often. I bought a new one that takes up to 150 volts and this one too he tells me is faulty. It was not cheap £20.00. Now he suggests each light has its own transformer as I could replace yet another main transformer skim and paint my ceiling for it to all happen again in a few months which I obviously dont want. Is this safe and advisable. Are these transformers really very unreliable. I am losing faith in him am I being fair?
Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you mean 20watts and 150watts not volts? Are you getting these transformers from somewhere like b&q? £20 quid to run 6 20watt 12v down lights? Sounds like a cheap and nasty transformer to me. Check also that the lamps (bulbs) supplied are not 50watt 12v as I've come across this before in multi packs. Ideally you do want a suitably rated transformer for each light.

Please excuse my ignorance. Each bulb is 20 watts totalling 120 and the transformer is up to 150 watts. The first transformer was from B&Q. The second was from a decent electrical warehouse. The electrician implied that £20 was expensive as he said they only cost a few pounds so I took his word for it. He now says he has fixed the transformer but the new ceiling switch is broke ! This is costing more money and driving me nuts. I have very little confidence in him as I find it hard to believe that all these new items are faulty.

I can not say if your electrician is any good or not, but transformers are fussy sometimes, I know from experience that b&q lights are mostly cheap rubbish made in china. I wouldn't say £20 for a 150W transformer was expensive at all, actually cheap. That said I fitted some low voltage down lights for my parents 12yrs ago that they got from b&q and they still work fine. Was the pull cord from b&q too from the £1 bargain bucket? As I took a punt just last week and that didn't work either. Get your money back on the faulty transformer and get 6 individual ones. They should cost around £5 each, £10 more but at least you won't be cutting holes in your ceiling if something fails in the future. Other than this issue do you have any other reason to question his work? If your not confident in his ability get someone else in. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Didnt read your last post properly, I'd be interested to know what he did to fix the transformer? Or was it the pull cord that failed and not the transformer all along. If this continues ditch him.

Thank you for your comments.
The pull cord switch was a decent one bought off the internet because I wanted a chrome one not white plastic. It had a dimmer on the cord as well. He says the first transformer has blown this but initially when diagnosing why the lights weren't working he said he had tested the switch and it was fine. He also wired up a two gang switch in one of the bedrooms and this will only work with the pull cord not the switch on the wall so I have little faith. I think I will do as suggested and have individual transformers.

Regarding the first transformer, some do NOT like dimmers, was it capable of being dimmed? As said your "electrician" does not sound up to much.

Get your new transformers and a new electrician to fit them, this bloke sound a waste of time and your money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back