Transormer quibble

Sponsored Links
Repeated discussions for the sake of pedantry regarding the merits of what is or is not a transformer are adding nothing to the multiple threads they are posted on.
As I'm sure you are aware, almost all such discussions result from the behaviour of just one member, who makes his point about the word "transformer" (or sometimes "nominal voltage") on every possible occasion, in innumerable threads. If he could be persuaded or forced to stop doing that, I think you would find that all such discussions would immediately vanish.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interesting - a battery always used to be an assembly of multiple cells. My dictionary must be out of date.
Yeah, I was taught that at college. Strictly that a battery is two or more cells connected together. If there was only one it was called a cell.

In the same way it was drilled into us that a lamp is the whole thing and the bulb is only the glass part....

But then battery also has a criminal meaning and a military one. The military one is similar to the electrical one, in that a battery (military) can be a collection of weapons, ie more than one.

Oh dear, all these words that have more than one meaning....I can't take it...

upload_2016-9-20_13-17-13.jpeg

It's not simple for some. It would be if it were agreed that definitions require updating.

You are discounting the definition of one to include something which does not comply and relying on the definition of another to exclude something to suit your beliefs.

If the definition of a car includes an internal combustion engine then the Tesla cannot be a car but you are saying something which transforms (voltage) is not a transformer.

It's not simple for some. It would be if it were agreed that definitions require updating.
As I've said before, definitions follow usage, not the other way around, so let's be sensible with usage. (But since the definition of transformer is already "A device consisting of two or more inductively coupled windings" I don't see the quandry...)

Last edited:
Precisely, but you're only applying that to one of the examples.
As Himmagin so often likes to remind us "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck..." An electric car looks like a car, walks like a car... An SMPS does not look like a transformer, nor walks like a transformer...

It doesn't look like the original type but it "transforms" voltage so how simples do you want?
A transistor 'transforms' voltage, as does a resitive divider, or an optocoupler, or many other components. You're confusing the verb with the noun.

Sponsored Links
Back