Treated or untreated timber for a loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I recently installed loftzone flooring in our loft but in one tricky section, there were two planks bracing 3 of the joists together. I had to remove the one of the to fit the supports for the loftzone system and I replaced it about 2-30cm along using kiln dried untreated timber of a similar size with screws instead of nails as to not disturb the plastboard below.

I'm not even sure if I needed to replace it as the loftzone system should add some bracing anyway. But should I of used treated wood instead?

In the photo, the bottom lighter coloured wood is the new one. Next to the truss is the old one.

brace.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks :) I noticed this morning when moving some stuff about up there that all the trusses have stickers on stating they're untreated anyway so if they're not then that little board I replaced shouldn't need to be :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'd also add that there shouldn't be any requirement to use treated timber for that purpose - given the amount of untreated wood up there already, if you *did* need to use it, I expect you'd have far bigger problems anyway!

Depending on what the issue was with fitting the last LoftZone support, I've used their intermediate supports in places where the triangles wouldn't fit, but it seems like your job is a good'un anyway!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back