Tree landed on house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the process of buying a house to do up in Cornwall. A week or two from completion of sale and a tree fell down (big one). The branches swiped the house and took down a chimney stack off the top of the gable end which smashed the Velux and some roof damage..

So we have two choices:

1. House owner will sort out.
2. We get some knocked off and sort it ourselves to speed things up.

We will get a builder or two to quote but a couple of questions?

1. Approx. cost to rectify just as an idea...
2. How would one mend the stack? Put the stack back in place in a couple of big pieces (my wife's thoughts) or break it up into small pieces on the roof and throw it down... then rebuild it brick by berick (my thoughts). If brick by brick rebuild would one use the same bricks or new ones?

Many thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
If you want the stack to remain, then it needs to be rebuilt brick by brick. The old bricks can be reused if you want but it will cost more to clean them up.
A scaffolding should be used, so I'd get the owners insurance to see to that one - and the Velox.
A couple of days should see it sorted, depending on how many people are on site - and of course there may be other hidden damage.
John :)

so I'd get the owners insurance to see to that one .
- and of course there may be other hidden damage.
John :)
So make sure you get any repairs that are done thoroughly checked by an independent expert to ensure they have been done properly & not a quick fix botch up before you complete the purchase,

Sponsored Links
If you've already exchanged contracts then it's down to you (legally) as is any house insurance.

Get the house owner to sort it out on his insurance.

Saves you making a claim on yours which may not pay out if its a new policy. You sometimes have a period where things will not be covered and certainly won't be if you took out insurance after the event.

Once an exchange has gone through then the new owner is responsible for the house and any insurance - the old owners insurance will usually decline to pay out.

You dont say where you are!

Builders usually overcharge for storm damage.

I would say a small builder would charge about £750 to do that work in a country area normally.

For storm damage covered by insurance then the builder would probablt ask for £3300.

But whose tree is it?

An owner of a tree can be considered to be liable for damage that his tree causes if it falls over.

There is a get out for that though if the winds were above the normal maximum expected in that area. then it becomes an Act of God.

The seller might accept that its his moral responsibility. It could also be his legal responsibility if its also his tree!

If you get solicitors involved they will usually charge far more than the value of damage because they are "*****".

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back