Trench Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way to dig a trench for extension footings if its beside an existing extension (neighbours), no digger as terraced house.

Sponsored Links
no digger as terraced house.

If you mean because of getting the digger around the back, you can get diggers that go through a doorway.

Without a digger, you're stuck with handheld breakers, spades and if the ground is tough a pick-mattock.

Sponsored Links
Is there a chance of toppling next door's extension?

Depending on when their extension was built, it'll likely have deepish foundations anyway; you may only need to go as deep as theirs which shouldn't cause any issues.

Theirs maybe 1m, mine is specified 1.4m on drawing?

Unless you've already had the ground checked independantly you'd normal dig to the 1m depth assuming normal foundations. Depending on what you find, 1m may be enough. If you need deeper, worry then.

It depends on the level of ineptitude of the person holding the shovel.

If you only go as deep as theirs it's OK. If you need to go deeper for some random reason, then you'll need to shore the ground below their footings, and you should be serving a PW notice on them in that case.

Yes.

We had an incident local to me a few years back, whereby a builder excavated along the whole gable end of a neighbouring building. It collapsed.

Subsequently local building inspectors were nervous. In a similar scenario (another local job) we had to do something similar, i.e. dig along side an existing building. We ended up digging hit and miss trenches, concreting in stages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back