trianco contractor 100/125

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I am new here but I seem to have the same problem on sooting up ,the boiler is 2 years old its never been brilliant but recently I have been having trouble with it running I cannot get it to run continuously, it keeps locking out and following advice on here as to moving the photocell out 20mm and reducing the air to 5.3 it fired up and ran for about an hour but then severe black smoke before locking out, the pressure is set at 100 and am running an 80eh nozzle, what is doing my head in is that it will run perfectly for sometimes over an hour but then thick smoke starts to appear then lock out, I have replaced the photocell, new nozzle and new ignitor and a new pump is on its way is there anything left? any help will be gratefully accepted Thanks :confused: Bigal1066

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, I am new here but I seem to have the same problem on sooting up ,the boiler is 2 years old its never been brilliant but recently I have been having trouble with it running I cannot get it to run continuously, it keeps locking out and following advice on here as to moving the photocell out 20mm and reducing the air to 5.3 it fired up and ran for about an hour but then severe black smoke before locking out, the pressure is set at 100 and am running an 80eh nozzle, what is doing my head in is that it will run perfectly for sometimes over an hour but then thick smoke starts to appear then lock out, I have replaced the photocell, new nozzle and new ignitor and a new pump is on its way is there anything left? any help will be gratefully accepted Thanks :confused: Bigal1066

You could replace every part or even the whole boiler and it'll make no difference if you are making adjustments without using proper instruments to check combustion.

No one can tell you to set the air at 5-3 !!! You have to use a Combustion Analyser to set the CO2 at about 11%, the air setting is just a reference which we engineers can make a note of, so that when we get called back, we can see if a numpty has been a tinkering :LOL:

You need the analyser for fine tuning, setting to manufacturers spec., the piece of kit just as important is a smoke tester. this will stop your analyser from getting coked up :)

If you don't know what you are doing, call in someone who does. Oil fired burners seem to be basic, and on the whole they are, if you know what you're doing.

Check and / or change filters, check oil pressure is constant, if you've got the kit to check it, then call an OFTEC registered, and more importantly, recommended engineer.

Sponsored Links
You can replace every part on this boiler, and try it with every setting you can think of, and it will never perform consistently.
Have you ensured the baffles are all in the right place? It's easy to misplace one and cut off the flue pass. Having said that, I am trying to sort out two of these boilers, and have so far had 3 different specs from Trianco, none of which have worked. I have also been told to remove the air diffusion plate from the back of the burner, I have three different head settings from Trianco, and still have the same problem. The customer has asked Trianco for their technician to attend; he cannot attend for three weeks!!!!
Whether it is the boiler or the burner is beyond me, but from my not unsubstantial experience of oil firing, a 1.10 gallon nozzle at 130 psi seems to be be seriously overfired for 125,000 Bthu.
One of the revised specs was for a 1.00 gall nozzle at 105 psi which seems closer to the required input, especially on a condensing boiler, has still not rectified the situation. The flue temperature still seems high at 120 C at the terminal. Nett efficiency of 91% is poor for a condensing boiler
Trying again tomorrow and I think I'll rip up the book and see what I can do myself. I expect to find the burner heads severely glazed from unburnt fuel.

Not a great fan of Trianco boilers, but Oilhead the effiency you quoted is band 'A' rated. Condensing boiler or not, that figure is pretty good. :)

The Trianco Contractor is ONLY BAND "B" what a load of junk, rip it out and fit a Grant Vortex :LOL:

Keep nagging at Trianco. As I said so far I've had 3 different commissioning specs. Every time the burner head glazes with unburnt fuel. Unburnt fuel means that there is insufficient air being drawn in, because the baffling will not allow it. Coupled with the resistance through the secondary (condensing) heat exchanger, the burner doesn't stand a chance.
Sooner or later, the manufacturer must do something to rectify the many boilers that are out there.

I have been working with oil fired boilers for many years and I honestly cant say that I have ever come across such a problematic boiler. The only way i have ever managed to get one of these to run for any extended period is to downtfire the burner and remove a baffle, which totally negates the reason for buying an H.E boiler. The product is just not fit for purpose in my opinion and Trianco know it. Buy a Grant as the previous post said. :LOL:

Had nothing but trouble with Trianco Contractor oil boilers.

Fit a good make, a Grant Vortex model and your have no more problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back