Trianco Eurostar 50/60 Oil Boiler - Won't Fire Up, But Not Locking Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just visiting an empty property we have and the boiler seems to have an issue.

The oil boiler is run by an Inspire Home Automation thermostat which was set to keep the house at 14 degrees and bring the heating on for an hour a day regardless to heat water -.just to keep system running. Unfortunately it seems as though the batteries in the thermostat unit went flat and the boiler hasn't run for a month or so.

The batteries have been changed and thermostat is back up and running, but the boiler will not light. It was serviced in the last year and motor changed, so well looked after.

It's odd as the motor seems to be running, along with the pump, it's as if it attempts to fire every 10s or so, but doesn't, however, it's not locking out. It's been going about 15 mins and none of the Piper around boiler are hot, but there are small bursts of hot air through flue (so it must be lighting?!)

I've taken a quick video to help explain

Is this something simple I can rectify myself or does it need an engineer?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the flame is lighting but not being detected.

Most oil boilers rely on a photocell for flame detection.

Sometimes the window on the cell becomes dirty or something blocks it from seeing the flame.

Or the circuit is not responding to the signal or the cell itself very occasionally fails or goes out of tolerance.

Perhaps you will need an OFTEC person?

Tony

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That looks like a G5 R40 boxed burner and Riello solenoids are pretty bullet-proof in my experience.

The symptoms in the video could be:

Excess air too high
Failed cell
Failed pump

I'd try tackling the fault in the above order. (Easiest/cheapest fixes first)

May need a competent tech though as an oil pressure pump would be very useful in diagnosing the fault

Try cleaning the photocell first. If that does not fix it, then call someone in as you will not have the equipment to make further checks.

Yes I it's the photo cell it's a riello bf unit you'll have to take off the front of the ally box pull of the control box and the photo cell hangs underneath just clean the little window ifthat doesn't work fit
New photocell

Thanks everyone, will try the photocell on the weekend and let you know how it goes!

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back