Trianco Eurostar 65 not flaming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trianco Eurostar 65

My brothers Oil fired boiler failed today !!!!! of all days .....

The fuse was blowing in the control circuilt board for the central heating
I suggested he should check the following, while i was on my way there
1) Removed the pump and tried on a seperate power lead - all OK
2) remove the boiler connection and tried on a seperate power lead - blew the fuse in the plug after a short delay - brother heard the boiler fan start

- on arrival (everything that follows relates just to the boiler )
I removed the relay control box on the boiler fire unit - checked to make sure nothing shorting, no oil leaks onto control unit - all checked out OK
(I replaced this control unit a couple of years ago )

- reconnected to power - this time it it did NOT blow the fuse
the following occured...
1) Started the fan blowing - then after a short delay
2) there was a click from the relay - still the fan noise -(no noise of a flame starting) - after a short delay, the unit stopped and the control unit had a light come on
3) waited a while and then reset the control relay using the button on the front of the relay control unit and the sequence above repeated

- called the Tech support line - 10 mins before leaving for xmas

he suggested
1) remove the flame sensor (this was replaced 7 days ago - for no real reason - had a problem with one of the control valves on the heating system)

- the above sequence occured - no flame
he suggested
2) i check that power was going from the control box to the solinoid

Connected a cable to pin5 - 240V out to solinoid and pin 8 neutral - put a multimeter onto the cable from pin5 & 8 to monitor the voltage

1) connected up as requested

- reconnected to power - nothing on meter
1) Started the fan blowing - after a short delay
2) there was a click from the relay
- the meter showed 240V
- still the fan noise - - after a short delay, the unit stopped and the control unit had a light come on
3) waited a while and then reset the control relay and the sequence above repeated

- Removed the plug from the solinoid and connected the meter to the plug
repeated above sequence and the meter read 240v on the click after the fan had been running for a short while

- Removed the oil feed pipe from just before the filter and checked flow That was all OK, oil came out ..... The oil connection also goes to an arga which is working and the tank level is half full....

- I can also hear the flow of oil and smell the oil during the sequence..

so what to eleminate next

- why has the fuse stopped blowing

- any links to full burner assembly instructions

Thanks, I will be back down at my brothers on 28th Dec

Sponsored Links
no i have not checked the solenoid,
how would i check it

i tested for continuity .....

I was going to connect a mains feed to it, but was not sure how to check that it was activiting ......

Sponsored Links
no i have not checked the solenoid,
how would i check it

Remove the coil from the pump, put a screwdriver or similar into the hole, if the coil is OK it will attract the screwdriver.

outinthestix
Check ignition. i.e. spark, electrodes, leads, transformer, control box.

How do I check each one of those ?
Are there any drawings on the net, so I can see how the burner is assembled and all the parts, where they are.
I was told i could take the burner off - but can only see one large screw at the top - does the burner lock into a flange at the bottom and only fixed at the top

I have basic kit, multimeter etc
Trained in electronics and mechanics - so with a book, I should be able to test

ajstoneservices
Remove the coil from the pump, put a screwdriver or similar into the hole, if the coil is OK it will attract the screwdriver.
do you know of any diagrams on the web, so i can see the assembly - not sure how to take the coil off - is it just the four screws at each edge of the box ?

Solenoid coil is attached to the oil pump stem, has a power lead going into it and a brass 4mm hex screw on top. Remove the screw and pull off solenoid coil and then test as described in above post. This part would be my most likely suspect.
At this point I'd usually look to see if the burner electrodes are sparking (you should hear this anyway) and check that transformer is not deformed in any way.

thanks casius66 I will have a look sunday

Do you know if there is a diagram anywhere - so i can see where those parts are all located

I can see a motor on the lefthand side
The solenoid cable goes to a box on the righthandside and there are two screws on cylinders coming towards you from that assembly

I could not here any fireing after the control box clicked in and sent power to the solenoid, could smell oil - but no change in the sound from the burner at all

The clue is you can smell oil. If solenoid was duff it would not let any oil through. Check ignition first, then pump pressure. If you've no idea how or lack the tools it best to get some one in.

On rereading the post I agree with outinthestix's reply above.

What type/make of burner is it? You'll be better Googling this rather than the boiler for diagrams.

Once you start adjusting the pump pressure you really need the combustion testing kit to set the burner up properly, as said already if you're not sure get someone in they'll (hopefully) have the parts on board to get you up and working quickly.
I've been on call today and not had a single call out!

oK Thanks,

could not find a make/type for the burner - no labels I could see ...

I have another look on Sunday ....

Thanks for all the help

Describe it or post a pic. e.g. Is it an ali box with a pipe at the top and a reset button on the front face of the box?

thanks I will post a picture, later today

Looking from the front
the unit has a motor on the bottom left
a control relay box on the front / left - with a reset button on it
the control unit has I think 11/12 connections down the right hand side and a single bolt fixing to the distribution box
the photo flame sensor is in the top / middle and the cable goes across the front of the unit left towards the control box
the solenoid is on the right
on the top is a pipe which goes up to the flue
the middle has a curve which goes from the photo flame sensor down under the unit with a single allen bolt in the centre
the oil feed goes into the bottom of a box on the righthand side

That sounds like a Sterling burner. The "box" on the right is the oil pump. Removing the central allen bolt allows the burner to be split. Also take out the large mounting screw to remove the blast tube. Unless it's obvious, you will be unlikely to fix it as it could be several things.

thanks for that

i wanted to identify the transformer - so i could see if the box is distorted and the where the spark igntion connects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back