Trianco Eurostar 65 not flaming

Sponsored Links
thanks - i'm onsite now - that looks almost the same plug into solenoid is horizontal rather than vertical

i'll have a look at transformer,

also see if i can find a circuit for the control box and test those

edit
yep it has a great big label withj stirling on it - but we had taken that cover off :) :)

thanks - i will have a play today - see how far i can get in diagnosis

Ok I have found a circuit for the control box and with above help

connection 3 on control box is for ignition - i cionnected a cable to this and got 240v straight away
so i assume the power should now goto transformer and be producing a spark
still went though sequence and locked out

i removed terminal 3 connection and checked for circuit across the live and neutral of transformer no reading on ohms
i would exopect to get some continuity across the primary winding ....

so this maybe a faulty transformer - that was blowing fuses and now open ????

I could smell oil on the sequence when the solenoid was fired - so i'm sure all that is working and oil is going into the boiler

any thoughts

Ok I have found a circuit for the control box and with above help
yes and curiously its on the underside of the control box :)

connection 3 on control box is for ignition - i connected a cable to this and got 240v straight away
so i assume the power should now goto transformer and be producing a spark
still went though sequence and locked out

yes terminal 3 is to the ign transformer, you should be able to hear a good spark, as an intense crackling

i removed terminal 3 connection and checked for circuit across the live and neutral of transformer no reading on ohms
i would exopect to get some continuity across the primary winding ....
one way of doing it i suppose

so this maybe a faulty transformer - that was blowing fuses and now open ????
most likely, open primary winding, no spark
I could smell oil on the sequence when the solenoid was fired - so i'm sure all that is working and oil is going into the boiler

Im sure there was quite a quantity of oil in the boiler, by the time parts centre opens, it should have evaporated and not present an explosive risk to yourself

any thoughts

many thoughts, most are concerning your personal safety :eek:

Sponsored Links
thanks

no spark noise at all and no continuity across primary winding- so i will replace the transformer asap .. just need to work out how to remove and replace ......

i did not notice the circuit on the back of the control box .. dahhhhh... thanks

i removed the live and neutral for the transformer and connected to the power to see if i coukd get a spark
assuming no other interlock or saftey device - which i cant see from the diagram - just a transforner and then out through HT leads to the spark .. nothing no noise ...

try and get hold of one tomorrow.....and come over and fit - so any advice before 9:00 tomorrow greatly appeciated

any advice on the above diagnoses would be appreciated -

summary
1) no continuity on transformer primary, between live and neutral
2) diectly connected to 240V - nothing
3) output from control box goes to 240v on pin3

The "transformer" is a solid state ignition unit, you cannot treat as a transformer. If faulty, could well have been made so by the control box (faulty).

so the fact that i have no continuity and powering the unit produced no spark does not indicate a faulty transformer

how would you diagnose to identify the faulty item

The electrodes need to be checked as the spark could be tracking, could be faulty HT leads also.
Appreciate you wanting to fix it yourself but it may be better to call someone in who has the parts on board to swap and prove faulty items rather than spending longer tracing out and testing circuits. It'll probably take around 30mins and your brothers house could be warm again!

so the fact that i have no continuity and powering the unit produced no spark does not indicate a faulty transformer

You said you are electronics trained, with a statement like that one wonders.

No continuity tells you nothing about a possible fault in the case of a non-transformer component. Why say "powering the unit produced no spark does not indicate a faulty transformer"?

You are making assumptions about all the other components in circuit. All fault diagnosis is proved when you have removed the fault and can reinstate it at will, THEN you know.

thanks oilman, I assumed it was a standard transformer - and therefore
expected continuty in the coil as its solid state, back to square one

I was expecting the spark to be produced by connecting the circuit up directly to the mains, since no spark produced then it may be anything in the circuit,including the transformer,
didnt make the point clear - apologies for that ....

my diagnoses is that i have a least isolated the problem to to the ignition section and wanted confirmation that by connecting the primary circuit to the mains would / should have produced a spark if the unti was working OK.

thanks for everyones help so far, my brothers experiance has been extremly poor in having an engineer in , in the past c£300 for an hour callout, but that may be the route to take..

I would expect 1/2 hour to be around £50 plus parts

£300 per hour does sound a bit extreme but I'd be surprised if you got someone out for less than a £70 callout charge (1st 30mins) + parts, particularly for Surrey area.
Company I work for would charge £102 callout for 1st 30mins if you did not have a service contract (i.e. haven't looked after the boiler), but they are a national firm and most engineers would have the parts to fix most common problems on 1st visit.

£300??? I'd come and do it for that plus parts. Still be back home just after lunch.

Ign unit input ~ 2.5MΩ, output ~ 2.5kΩ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back