Trianco oil burner not firing up on reset. What can I try?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Trianco oil burner has been off for a while as oil tank got down to the point where it always cuts out (still 3 bars left on Watchman, but always fails at this point until topped up - sludge maybe?). Left it for a couple of months as it was summer, and I was away for most of it anyway.
So now have had oil tank re-filled, but on pressing reset button on the oil burner it isn't firing up (controls in the house are calling for heat).
Could it be that some sludge from the tank has got into the burner and causing a blockage?
Does the tigerloop not prevent this?

oil  burner.jpg

fernox.jpg

Also, I discover two bottles of heavy duty fernox central heating restorer in the outhouse with the oil burner. Not sure how old they are, but sealed and presumabably they don't go off. Might as well use them to see if it helps. Where exactly do I pour the stuff?

Have tried to get an oil heating engineer out. Can't get one around here for love nor money sadly. So is there anything else I can try first?

Thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply Exedon

Yes, there is something in the tigerloop, but is it enough (see photo below)?

(Also, I have wiped the magic eye photocell thing and it made no difference)

Hasn't had a proper service for probably 5 or 6 years as I just can't get a heating oil engineer out. There aren't enough of them anymore sadly.

Some better pictures :-

oil burner outside.jpg

oil burner inside.jpg
reset switch.jpg
tigerloop.jpg

Last edited:
That is enough fuel in tiger loop looks a bit dark?
You really do need a competent oil engineer you cannot make any meaningful adjustments to a oil burner without test equipment.
What area are you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

Could it be that the fuel in the tiger loop is dark because it's been sucked up near the sludge at the bottom of the tank? Maybe it has blocked the tubes somewhere along the line, is there a filter I can access and clean out?

Am in Buckinghamshire, have contacted a few engineers and not even getting a reply.
Only one has replied and is not availabe for at least the next 3 weeks, he can't give a fixed date for an appointment.
His main work is for a housing association so he has to put that first. Currently he's in Hampshire, 3 counties away, so he's covering a huge area.

If you know of anyone local to me please send me a message - I really need to get this sorted (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back