Trianco Oil Fired Boiler

Sponsored Links
.but a good OFTEC person will usually be able to identify the bits from experience -

So will anyone else who is good. The problem with OFTEC, as with all industry qualifications, is that it confirms the holder is barely adequate, nothing more.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to post a bit of closure to this so its of some use to anybody finding the thread in future on a search

The guy came out and ended up having to swap out the control box and the motor... flippin expensive but standing in the shower in my own house felt soo good I didnt care, then....2 days later, the radiators werent getting very warm..... i looked out at the outhouse and I could smell a funny plasticy burning smell..........turned out the boiler and all the baffles etc etc was all sooted up too since the guys visit....... he thought it was down to a baffle having collapsed........me I dunno :-/

Anyways all sorted out eventually..but it would seem the intake side of the balanced flue is a bit blocked now so I have to run the boiler with the tube disconnected from the burner as it drives the PPM CO(2)? up past 11 when it is connected. So i need to get a vent cut into the door of the outhouse now so that the boiler gets enough oxygen to burn clean. For now I just leave the door open a crack but it cant be too efficient.
The guy reckoned that the intake draw of the balanced flue must be drawing in some of the outbound fumes. Me I wonder if the soot around the outlet of the flue is diverting things abnormally now as there are chunks of it on the vents and even up the wall since the whole "black smoke episode". Is this feasible?

What you have there is called ingestion,the air intake is pulling in out going hot gases.If by taking the snorkel off and having good clean oxygen to the burner,then thats the way to go.

You could at an expense have a new flue fitted,but as youve already spent loads, I would suggest you leave well alone and have the boiler serviced annually.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like you've had a great time of it...you've paid out for pump,motor and control box (could nearly have got a new burner for similar money) - is the guy you've had out an oilman or a plumber that "does" oil, I've followed on after a few of these types who can happily clean a boiler year after year but come unstuck when it doesn't work.
Having said that the symptoms would indicate the motor needed replacing (you said it was noisy in 1st post) and subsequent posts indicated a problem with the control box.
I would've thought the flue problem would've presented itself at the service or after changing motor and control box. I'd suspect that the new pump hasn't been set correctly (did he use test equipment, pressure gauge?) - I would usually clean the flue, if accessible, when clearing a sooted boiler.
I'm sure at the moment you just want to leave it alone while it's working ;) but if you need to get him back ask about the oil pump (they can go faulty I've had 3 in recent weeks having had none in 2 years, and for the oilmen they were RBL,RDB and a Danfoss L3 all on the van less than a year)

Doesn't sound like you've had a great time of it...you've paid out for pump,motor and control box (could nearly have got a new burner for similar money) - is the guy you've had out an oilman or a plumber that "does" oil, I've followed on after a few of these types who can happily clean a boiler year after year but come unstuck when it doesn't work.
Having said that the symptoms would indicate the motor needed replacing (you said it was noisy in 1st post) and subsequent posts indicated a problem with the control box.
I would've thought the flue problem would've presented itself at the service or after changing motor and control box. I'd suspect that the new pump hasn't been set correctly (did he use test equipment, pressure gauge?) - I would usually clean the flue, if accessible, when clearing a sooted boiler.
I'm sure at the moment you just want to leave it alone while it's working ;) but if you need to get him back ask about the oil pump (they can go faulty I've had 3 in recent weeks having had none in 2 years, and for the oilmen they were RBL,RDB and a Danfoss L3 all on the van less than a year)

Hi cassius,

The guy is one of the regulars from the local servicing company that I use. Im pretty happy with their credentials. Yeah as you say, for now im just glad its all working again :)

He did say that a new flue would be expensive since they dont make them anymore but for now Ill just leave the snorkel off and thatll do just as well I spose. Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Paula

I really hope this is a closure for you, this has gone on long enough...however, I just wonder if the servicing guy actually set the pump pressure to the manufacturers spec, and did a smoke test and flue gas analysis afterwards......keep an eye on the vents of the balanced flue outlet and see if they turn black with soot sooner than usual.
John :)

I really hope this is a closure for you, this has gone on long enough...however, I just wonder if the servicing guy actually set the pump pressure to the manufacturers spec, and did a smoke test and flue gas analysis afterwards......keep an eye on the vents of the balanced flue outlet and see if they turn black with soot sooner than usual.

Hi John,

yes he did do a test with a kind of meter with a probe on it that went into the hole at the top of the burner unit. That was where he detected that the efficiency changed when the snorkel was disconnected and so he advised me to run it with the snorkel off the burner so it was getting fresh air supplied to it.

I just wonder if the flue got a bit sooted up at the outlet when it was producing all the soot and if thats maybe the cause of the ingestion.

I might try and go out and give it a bit of a clean when that biting north wind dies off.

For now Im planning my next project which is to refit my ensuite bathroom :) yes I know I'm a glutton for punishment. Part of that job will be to put in an electric shower instead of the mixer shower thats currently in there thus removing the reliance on the central heating boiler to have a shower.

The fitter man should do a smoke test with the appliance first...this looks a bit like a bike pump with a piece of filter paper jammed in the end....fumes from the boiler are sucked through the pump, and soot deposits are left on the filter paper. ideally there should be no or a (very) slight trace visible. If this proves ok, the flue gas analyser probe gets inserted into the same sampling hole and the CO2 content of the gas is measured - typically between 11 and 12%. A good analyser will also read out the efficiency of the burner and the excess oxygen applicable.
Its really almost impossible to guess on the efficiency of the burner without this equipment, but you shouldn't have any more smell than normal outside, and certainly no black smoke at the chimney.
Anyway, keep an eye on things and I hope all will be well - you just don't want any problems like this at this time of year!
Hope you'll keep us posted with future projects!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back