Trianco oil, life expectancy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again ,hope you can help on this one.
Trianco eurostar oil fired 10 years old. There is an inch of water in the base. I'm not sure how long this takes to accumulate but does not run over so presume the heat from the boiler causes it to evaporate at least as fast as it appears. Can't see where it is coming from. Could the H/E be cracked at this age and if so what causes it, just age or a poor quality H/E ? If this proves to be the cause(any other suggestions or ways of proving it) is there any point fitting a new H/E or just go for new boiler ?
Thanks in advance, Stix.

Sponsored Links
not seen that boiler but it sounds standard steel jacket boiler ,if u are sure its not a pipe or fitting leak the u must have weep from corrosion then its a new boiler. 10 yrs is short life span for that type of boiler & if a new boiler is fitted i would suggest non condensing but look into why its eaten itsself away. Is it sooty inside and undersized for the house.

You are right it is steel jacket. It was in need of a clean internally and the crud was somewhat sticky instead of the usual dry dusty dirt. However it was not terribly dirty. I wouldn't say it was undersized.Why go for non condensing ? Can't these only be fitted under certain conditions ?

You couldn't buy cheaper than a Trianco.

The company went into administration in April this year (I am told not for the first time) and have now been bought out by some of the previous management.

In constrast to the previous respondent, at 34p a litre plus VAT few of us can afford not to buy a condensing boiler. We'd recommend a Grant Vortex, or if money was no object, a Kidd Oil unit, which has been in continuous production since the early 80s. Most of those built then are still going. I have one in my own house.

Sponsored Links
Congratulations on your Trianco reaching 10 years.

I have taken one out that lived for an amasing 3 years.

Unfortunately its short life was caused by a friend of a friend installing it incorrectly. Did not flush out old system and don't think he knew what inhibitor was.

It had a lovely crack right around base of heat exchanger, also the f&e was slightly worse for wear in as much as totaly melted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back