Trianco Redfyre 15/19 problem

muv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry another boiler problem to bore you all with.

I'm having a new oil boiler fitted in a few weeks but for now our ancient Trianco redfyre 15/19 is playing up, it's 6deg in the house.....damn my crittal windows.

Only been in the house 6 months and it's guzzled 1000ltrs of oil already, i've been keeping an eye on the level but when I checked yesterday it seemed empty on the guage so I dipped it and its just above the outlet(tank is sloped to rear)

I immediatly switched the boiler off but can't get a delivery of oil untill Friday so transfered 100ltrs from my neighbours tank, let it all settle for 30 mins then fired up the boiler. It ran for 30 seconds and then the red lockout light came on so reset it on the little control panel and tried again...same thing happened.

Anyone familiar with these old boilers? Does the oil line need bleeding? or has it sucked up some crap from the tank?

Im a sparky so im going to be carefull poking around in there but is there anything I can do myself to get it working again before my daughters ears snap off?

The only thing ive tried is so far is clean the photocell.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Sponsored Links
Possible its sucked crud in from the tank, but if you've run dry then the oil line may well need bleeding. Oil is messy stuff so have something handy to mop up any spills, if you have a look through similar posts there are a couple of ways suggested to bleed the oil supply line.

Sponsored Links
ok cheers, i've tried the hex head on top and it does indeed gurgle and release some oil and air but it locks out too soon so I may be here a while.

At least the neighbours wont have any trouble with snow if i turn the house into a fireball :D

I suspect with so little oil in the tank there may not be enough head of oil to push clean oil through from the tank to the boiler....

I have a teenage daughter who wants to sit around the house in a T shirt and expects sub tropical temperatures in all the rooms so you have my every sympathy.... ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: muv
hmmm yes theres only about 400mm from tank outlet level down to boiler.

I cant take anymore oil from his tank as he's already low himself, he lives in Australia and does'nt know i've borrowed some oil yet as he never replied to an email :oops:

Thanks for your input and i'll pop back later to see if the other guys can help.

'Borrow' what he has left, deny all knowlege and make out some people towing caravans must have nicked it? ;) If he lives in Oz he wont need it at the minute! :LOL:

Thanks for the reply, I did try a little search but now a couple of links are showing at the bottom of the page.

Any idea which is the bleed valve in the pic below?

http://www.stevematt.f9.co.uk/heater/page9.htm

the one on the left above the braided inlet oil pipe or the one on top(on the left) :confused:

Ahhh thats a sweet Inter 99 burner :p The bleed nipple on the top lets the air out when the pump is spinning.
Its best to initially bleed where the braided supply pipe enters the pump - if you disconnect it there should be a good flow of oil (gravity feed tank).
John :)

I'm having a new oil boiler fitted in a few weeks but for now our ancient Trianco redfyre 15/19 is playing up

I don't think you are having a new boiler in a few weeks. You seem to be struggling to even afford the oil. You're not the first and won't be the last OP to think that throwing a red herring about new boilers will get favourable answers.

Good news is your existing boiler is well worth refurbing. Properly maintained they're a match for any new model. A new one won't work any better on the scraps from your old tank either.

• Thanks
Reactions: muv
yep I disconnected the braided hose and no oil, got the wife outside :cry: to pull the plunger untill it pumped out then quickly shoved it back on and tightened it up. mopped up oil off floor switched it on and hid behind the door and it fired up :mrgreen:

thanks

er deffo new boiler as it needs moving to under the stairs to make way for a kitchen extension and new bunded tank in a new position too. need to move it to get rid of the chimney to make bathroom bigger.

I would say (from bitter experience) that asking the wifey to deal with kerosene carries a significant risk to your personal health :p
When you get a moment, do have a look at the filter at the tank before any new gear is installed.
John :)

Thanks burnerman, the new install is totally seperate from this old one. i was running the old tank low so I dont have to transfer oil from one to the other( opposite ends of the house)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back