Triple Downlighter, Fire Rated ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these available? I've seen plenty of non-fire rated ones, but need a triple unit.

52405-led-downlight-bulbco-800x640-800x640.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's the same property, you don't have to have fire-rated, then.

The only difference would be some intumescent material included.

Sponsored Links
The building inspector wanted fire rated spots along with the new plasterboard. I don't mind to pay the extra for a fire rated light, I just can't find one anywhere.

Well, that is very true! :D

Though to be honest, I'd rather go the fire-rated route even regardless of the building regs. Given the option of fire-rated and non-fire rated, I'd rather the former for just a few pounds extra. I read a 30 minute fire resistant ceiling can be reduced to under 5 minutes with the addition of down-lights :unsure:

Finding a triple spotlight with fire-rating is pretty much impossible though!

The building inspector wanted fire rated spots
You say "above is a bedroom", but above what? A habitable room or a garage? Makes a big difference.

How many storeys in the house?

Why do you have a building inspector telling you what lights you should have anyway?

How up for a fight with him are you?

I don't mind to pay the extra for a fire rated light, I just can't find one anywhere.
You could always try deciding not to install lights which are deliberately designed to be no good at lighting up rooms.

Agreed, they are absolutely useless at lighting up rooms.

They are, however, considerably better at lighting down.

I've never seen any double or triple ones that are fire rated. If you have access from above, you could construct a box out of plasterboard to insert into the area.

Above another habitable room.

He didn't specifically say to get fire-rated lights, but said to fireboard the ceiling. So it wouldn't be logical to cut holes and put non-fire rated in there. As I say, I don't mind to pay a few quid extra to have it all fire-rated. I don't understand why they even make non-fire-rated considering the small difference in price.

As for lighting up rooms, they can work just fine providing the bulbs are with a wide beam angle and you have enough of them, but in my case they're going to be for lighting up some specific features in the house.

If anyone else is looking for the same, as Aptsys says, you can construct a box out of fireboard around the fixture, as I'll do. Or if you really want to spend money, use a firehood, such as JCC JC93002 :)

If you are that worried it may be wise to shorten your post thus -

Above another habitable room.

He didn't specifically say to get fire-rated lights, but said to fireboard the ceiling. So it wouldn't be logical to cut holes.

Well saying that, the entire thread could have been shortened if my original question was answered instead of debated. But importantly, I have my answer and hopefully someone else will find the information here useful too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back