Triple Shower Valve Always On...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just fitted a triple thermostatic valve from victorian plumbing.

The top control appears as if it should be on/off.
The middle control is the temperature control.
The bottom is a diverter which I will switch between Shower head and Auxiliary shower hose.

I have connected only the hot inlet water supply and no output connections are plumbed to the valve yet.

When I repressurise hot water I cannot turn the shower valve off, water flows out of whichever diverter option I select...

I'm setting myself up for it, but am I being really thick? I have turned the top valve to its stops in each direction without success :confused:

Obviously, I'll be very grateful for advice!

DM

Sponsored Links
Are there 3 oulets? Usually with these one knob is on/off for one outlet, then the other knob controls the other 2 outlets, such that the middle is off.

Did you not read the installation instructions? Or look at the markings that appear on almost every valve telling you which connections to use? I suspect you've plumbed the supplies into the outlet connections rather than the inlets

The triple outlets are for shower, bath and hand shower.. I bought one by accident and then had to join the bath and shower via T piece. There doesn't seem to be a standard for the 3 nob valves as the one in my other bathroom has on for shower, on for handset and temp.

Sponsored Links
Are there 3 oulets? Usually with these one knob is on/off for one outlet, then the other knob controls the other 2 outlets, such that the middle is off.

Hi Steve. Only 2 outlets. One at the top of the valve and one at the bottom.

Did you not read the installation instructions? Or look at the markings that appear on almost every valve telling you which connections to use? I suspect you've plumbed the supplies into the outlet connections rather than the inlets

Hi Muggles, I've read the limited instructions. Inlets are clearly marked for Hot (left) & Cold (right) and the hot is plumbed in correctly, one thing the instructions do indicate is where the inlets are. The outlets are situated at the top and bottom of the valve.

Oooh, an own-brand job, good luck getting spares for that when it breaks......

The link isn't much help unfortunately, and presumably the instructions aren't much better? Are you sure the water is coming out of an outlet in both diverter positions and isn't actually just coming out of the cold inlet as you've not connected that yet? Best thing to do might be to take it out of the wall, cap one inlet and blow through the other with all combinations of valve turns to see if any of them stop you blowing through it. At least that way you can do it calmly without water flying all over the place

Hi muggles,
You're absolutely right about the instructions... Practically non existent.

The water is not coming out of the cold inlet and the diverter is definitely switching between the 2 outlets.

It's as if the on/off function simply does nothing. With that and the comments here i'm not filled with confidence this is the right valve to conceal in my wall. I'll be contacting the vendor in the hope they will take it back.

I doubt they'll take it back once you've started fitting it, unless you can clean it up to a saleable condition and put it perfectly back in its box. I certainly wouldn't be admitting to having attempted to fit it, unless you're going to claim that it's faulty and demand a refund! I also wouldn't want it in my wall, as there's a risk you'll have to dig it out again in a few years if it stops working and spares aren't available, which they often aren't for unbranded products. Much better to buy something from a recognised brand name who are known to also carry spares for their showers; it might be more expensive initially, but it'll be much less hassle in the long run

Go to plumb centre and order a bristan valve. They have a book of them. Look in it. They ain't cheap. But all designs are available in all valve combinations so you'll get exactly what you want.

There are only two built in showers that are any good, Grohe or Hansgrohe. They are not the cheapest, but neither is smashing tiles off to replace a cheaper shower

On/off control is top AND bottom , is the bottom diverter control knob orientated correctly?
These are shyte BTW.

If the cold isnt piped could this not be throwing up a problem with the thermostatic cartridge and unbalance supplies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back