Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My surface planner is tripping the main fuse on about 1 in 4 of the start ups
The machine is Single phase 6" jointer supplied by Axminster
I checked the starter button a no volt overload type ,it has connections that float on on springs and seem to arc a bit on connection
inside the switch box are two black dials with numbers on and arc is written in white lettering and look adjustable!?
Any clues
Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
An arc fault circuit interrupter is a breaker designed to help prevent fires by detecting electrical arcs and disconnecting the power to prevent fires starting. This type of device distinguish between a harmless arc that occurs during normal operation of the appliance/accessories to it and an arc that is considered a potential hazard.

I would have your planner examined/serviced. It could be the brushes need replacing, as the arcing from them is being detected by the interrupter, as a issue.

Hi Ian
What's the motor on it?
What's the fuse rating and what type? When you say that the fuse is tripping, is it a fuse that blows and needs replacing, or an mcb that just needs resetting?
If it's the mcb that needs resetting you may need another type of mcb that allows higher current to flow for a short time for motor start up. You'll need to get someone who has up to date knowledge to sort that out though.

The starter will arc a bit at the contacts on starting. The adjustments are almost certainly for overload current, will have been set when installed, and are better left alone. If you adjust the overload tripping current you might well burn out the motor if there is a problem.

Does everything rotate as it should, and is the motor free of chippings etc.?

Hi Dave hows it going?

motor spec;240 V
current 5 A
H P 1
RPM 4500
The motor is quite big 6 1/4" Dia

The main RCCB in the workshop trips,
80 AMP
Tripping current 30mA

The main breaker further back down the line also trips;
RCCB 100 A 300 mA
18R 100/300/4

Cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
Fine thanks mate. :)
If it's been OK up until now and this has just started happening. I'd have thought it was an earth fault somewhere. I don't really have any experience with rccbs with motors, but I know they can be tricky with the starting current on motors. It's not a big motor though with those current rated breakers. Also intermittent faults are notoriously difficult to pin down. Sorry to not be more help.
Have you tried asking on the leccy forum? Someone on there may know more.

Do these RCDs trip with other equipment on load, or does the trip only occur when the planner is in use.
As you have not mentioned that a over-current device has not tripped, only residual current, I doubt that it is a start-up current causing the issue.
And unlikely to be a faulty RCD as you have two in-line upstream which are tripping.
So I would conclude that is a an earth leakage issue and likely to be an appliance fault, rather than a circuit issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back