triton 2 shower fuse rating

C

craig8661

we moved into a house last year september obv there was a problem with the show our house is on the rcb but has the older fuse box the wire type but insted of wire it has the over size fuses at the min fitted with a 30amp one we got nearly a year out of it but it blew the other day the fuse was brittle and obv had alot of heat in it with what i have seen on google it could be a 9.5kw shower it has a copper twin and earth mutly strand wire but not sure on the mm feeding it.
i could change the fuse for a mcb.
im fairly sure there is nothing wrong with the shower had a look under the covers and had a good look and no bad conections or any elements blown or any water leaks

Sponsored Links
9.5kW is approximately 40A.
A 30A fuse will work for a while, but it will get hot and fail as you have discovered. A similar rated MCB won't help either, and to change the size of fuse/MCB may involve replacing the cable.
It is also likely that the fuseboard won't be suitable for fuses over 30A.

right i will up it to 40amps i will double check shower for exact wattage.
i can pull the shower cable out of the older consumer unit and house the mcb in a new unit with a feed of the rcd.
just had a look at the lable and its worn of on the rating.

You must not just go increasing the size of fuses without knowing what you are doing.

What is the csa of the cable connected to the shower
what is the length of the run
where does the cable run (through the loft, in thermal insulation, etc etc)
Also, the old type fuseboards do not support fuses larger than 30amps otherwise this can happen
-thanks to RF Lighting for the pic.

Sponsored Links
i got a mcb the cable cant have been fitted to long ago as new coulor codes brown and blue.i will try to see what size it is later but getting dark now
runs inside a stud wall to floor then under floor to shower then behind stud wall and into shower at best 20 meters if im being very genreras,
going to borrow friends pat tester as well not using shower until 100% sorted but i think next week im going to change the consumer units for one with the integrated rcd then the mcb's.
the fuse bored is the same as one in your pic only thing is it uses the enlarged plug type fuses but cant remember by what there called.
dont think im taking this lightly thats why i asked about the fuse ampage increase in the first place but looking at it 30 amps is to low for the shower.
this is the info that i found on the net that drew me to hear.
What amp fuse is recommended for use with electric showers?

This depends on the maximum heat setting of the shower.

For 8.5kW the recommended fuse rating is 35 amps

For 9.5kW the recommended fuse rating is 40 amps

For 10.8kW the recommended fuse rating is 45 amps

also thinking if its not 10mm cable i may get of my arse and pull a new bigger cable throu.

im going to whip the cover of the shower to see if i can find a sticker for wattage one under it has worn of

Hi Craig,

Are you posting from your phone/blackberry? Just curious. itz a bit txt spk wit no punk2-8shun

BTW, When you start fiddling around inside the shower and probably consumer unit aswell, remember not to touch any of the copper bits inside...

Oh yea and don't do it whilst having a shower.

Notifiable....electrician......oh, like you're bothered :(

i think i can def say i kno what im doing with mains may not be up to scratch on the regulations as a bit rusty

i think i can def say i kno what im doing with mains may not be up to scratch on the regulations as a bit rusty
OIC, thats ok then. It just that for a moment, i thought this was a wind up. Since you know what you are doing, craic on mate, have fun :cool: Im sure you'll come to no harm. :confused:

well i thought forums was supposed to be helpful clearly there are members set on destroying a good forum.
just spoke to sparky down the street and he came up looked at the cu and has said idealy it needs changing the cable to the shower is approx 6mm so not up to the job or just barely.
im going to change the two cu for a bigger cu with the rcd and then the mcb's but going to leave the shower of for the time being.
it needs the bigger cable re routing and poss the shower changing too.

well i thought forums was supposed to be helpful clearly there are members set on destroying a good forum.
The forum is only as good as the people who use it. I'm laid in bed typing this, but even I am making the effort to use proper SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar). You know, full stops and things that make text readable. Your first post was one long sentence and impossible to make out. We can only help if people help themselves by being clear and concise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back