Trolley jack bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite an old one but has served me well.

Have had to bleed it quite a lot of the past year and today I got a bottle of jack oil to top it up although could only pour small amount in before it was full. Still not lifting to full height with a bit of weight on it.

Do I presume the seals are too fatigued and need look for a new one?

full

Sponsored Links
Can you trust it not to collapse in use?

I think not.

In the skip with it.

As you'll appreciate, the valves on these (not seals) are simply spring loaded ball bearings which locate in a tapered housing.
If there is any dirt holding the ball open, or indeed it is pitted then you could probably do something about it - it depends on how much time you want to spend on it!
These things are absurdly cheap these days courtesy of the Orient - my ancient Epco jack must be 35 years old and dead reliable.
Happily these things don't fail quickly - famous last words - but you wouldn't be crawling under a motor without axle stands, now would you :mrgreen:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks All

I never get under a car when its only jacked up. The axle stands always go in place first and pushed into place with a wood pole.

As it still lifts 2/3 of the way, may just need a complete oil change as a fella on YT did to bring his trolley jack back to life.

Check the minimum height. Some are too high to get under a car without running it onto some blocks first.

Make sure the new jack has a pad for its shoe.....I have them with slots in that fit over the sill join (if that's the jacking point, of course :mrgreen:)
John :)

My old jack, with the rubber saddle I got for it, is 12cm when down so I could live with 13cm lowered with the one in the link which looks like its got a rubber saddle.

I'm going to try an oil change on the old one first. £4.99 for a Carlube 0.5L bottle at one factor and £4.21 for a MPM Oil 1.0L bottle at a factor 5 miles away.

If you need a new one I find the offerings
very good value from sgs engineering.
I've just bought a second smaller jack from them, I also have a larger low entry one.

Can you trust it not to collapse in use?

I think not.

In the skip with it.
in his defence , the fact that it collapses during use is only relevant if your’e condoning or suggesting or implying he lies under while it’s supporting the weight of the vehicle. i’ve got a similar trait with my trolley jack which i’ve had 28 years. I certainly wouldn’t lie under it, but feel it’s good enough to lift the car while i get my blocks under.

I have a Bradbury jack I bought in 1965 and still works perfectly, except for the lowering valve which I have to operate with a screwdriver as the tab on the handle has worn away. Should have lasted mind - cost me nearly a weeks wages!

Peter

Eurocarparts do a two tonne RAC brand trolley jack for £38.99. Mind you it's like anything you can pay a lot more depending on whether you want professional trade stuff.

I'm a great fan of old tools and still have a few pairs of pliers and spanners belonging to my grandfather. When it comes to safety though it may be prudent to retire the faithful item.

Sponsored Links
Back