Trunking inlet plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to have some new aluminium windows installed. These windows will be fitted with two electric openers per window

5F5FBDD3-EFEF-40E9-AF7E-B854CBAE5634.jpeg

This is the sort of opener. There will be two motors operating a single window. There will be a YT2 plastic trunking running left to right on the horizontal transom to contain the motor flexes.

There will be a flush mounted FCU on the wall located where the green circle is, with a conduit to take the wiring into the ceiling void.

I need some sort of accessory to install where the red circle is on the window reveal to terminate the trunking into and then allow me to run into the FCU with flush mounted conduit or kopex. Ideally it would be a flush accessory with room to joint the flexes inside.

1E64F28F-042A-4FFA-A43E-95F799A82B02.jpeg

Any body got any great ideas? I’ve thought about just a flush box with a blank plate but it doesn’t seem very elegant and it’s a bit difficult to properly transition from trunking in to it.

Sponsored Links
There will be a YT2 plastic trunking running left to right on the horizontal transom to contain the motor flexes. .... There will be a flush mounted FCU on the wall located where the green circle is, with a conduit to take the wiring into the ceiling void. I need some sort of accessory to install where the red circle is on the window reveal to terminate the trunking into and then allow me to run into the FCU with flush mounted conduit or kopex. Ideally it would be a flush accessory with room to joint the flexes inside..... Any body got any great ideas? I’ve thought about just a flush box with a blank plate but it doesn’t seem very elegant and it’s a bit difficult to properly transition from trunking in to it.
No immediate clever ideas, no - but a few thoughts ...
  • If you are going to have something flush where your red circle is, I can't see that you can get conceptually very far away from 'a flush box with a blank plate', can you? The aesthetics are obviously down to the nature and decor of the blank plate (and will it not be obscured by a curtain, anyway?)
  • As for transitioning from trunking to a 'sunken box' can you not just take the trunking into the wall, immediately alongside the 'sunken box', and take the cables through holes in both?
Thinking a bit more laterally ...
  • Does the FCU have to be that high up, rather than level with the transom/trunking? If the latter were a possibility, could you not just take the cable into the wall (through the reveal) and thence into the back of the FCU's box?
  • Even with the FCU where you indicate, might one not consider taking the cable (buried) from the 'sunken box' up the reveal to level with the FCU and then, again, through the wall into the back of the FCU? I may be wrong, but I would have thought that the 'corner in the wall' would render the reveal a 'safe zone', wouldn't it?
  • [ I presume that the 'ceiling void' is not accessible enough to put the FCU up there? ]
Not very useful 'thoughts', I fear! Maybe I'll have 'greater' ideas later :)

Kind Regards, John

I am also treating the reveal as a safe zone and 150mm from the external corner.

How deep is the reveal?

Had a think and I can only think of using a surface box to take the trunking, but that is a compromise.

Sponsored Links
We are about to have some new aluminium windows installed. These windows will be fitted with two electric openers per window

View attachment 225302

This is the sort of opener. There will be two motors operating a single window. There will be a YT2 plastic trunking running left to right on the horizontal transom to contain the motor flexes.

There will be a flush mounted FCU on the wall located where the green circle is, with a conduit to take the wiring into the ceiling void.

I need some sort of accessory to install where the red circle is on the window reveal to terminate the trunking into and then allow me to run into the FCU with flush mounted conduit or kopex. Ideally it would be a flush accessory with room to joint the flexes inside.

View attachment 225301

Any body got any great ideas? I’ve thought about just a flush box with a blank plate but it doesn’t seem very elegant and it’s a bit difficult to properly transition from trunking in to it.
Can you drill into the reveal in line with the transom and then into the wall at an angle to meet it close to the reveal then mount the FCU lower down directly over the hole to bring the flex directly into the FCU. holes will be covered by ythe end of the trunking and by the FCU:
upload_2021-3-5_13-39-23.png

EDIT: and then I saw Johns answer.

EDIT 2: If the FCU is required to be higher, do the same thing with the hole but add a length of vertical trunking on the reveal

Can you drill into the reveal in line with the transom and then into the wall at an angle to meet it close to the reveal then mount the FCU lower down directly over the hole to bring the flex directly into the FCU. holes will be covered by ythe end of the trunking and by the FCU: .... EDIT: and then I saw Johns answer.
Indeed - a case of "great Minds ...", I guess :) .
EDIT 2: If the FCU is required to be higher, do the same thing with the hole but add a length of vertical trunking on the reveal
As I also suggested in "John's post", given that the reveal probably qualifies as a 'safe zone' (and would even if there were no visible accessory), one could bury the cable in the reveal (rather than using trunking) prior to going through the wall into the back of the FCU (in it's 'green circle' position).

Kind Regards, John

Would the transition from trunking to flush box be made easier with a bottom entry flex outlet (but on it's side)?

If the cord grip is discarded, there would be a nice 'notch' in what would effectively be the side of this accessory plate. In other words, like a blanking plate, but slightly thicker with a pre-made notch already made.

The cord grip couldn't be used as you wouldn't have room to work when terminating the wires.

You would probably have to use connector blocks or wagos rather than the connections on the outlet plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back