TRV's in Combi System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mother in law is getting a combi fitted to her house under a gov grant and was going to have to put to it till the grant was recently increased.

Anyhow she has some extra grant cash available - the question is , would it be worth fitting TRV's to all but 1 of the radiators in this new combi system

Sponsored Links
Not only worth it but it is the regulation and should be done anyway

as namsag says it is a legal requirement when fitting a new boiler to fit TRV's and a room thermostat.

any RGI knows this if I was you I would be checking that the RGI is actually qualified to do the work, He will have a Gassafe Registration No. which you can check by ringing them if he is unfortunate enough to be amongst those still waiting on his card and certificate.
remember a Corgi registration is no longer valid

Get his registration number, then go on the gas safe website, his picture should be there to confirm its really him ;)

Sponsored Links
A room thermostat is required also?
So just boiler & TRV's is not enough?

Oh is that all you got mattylad.

Sounds like the OP has got a warmfront installer .

I really cant understand how the government can hand all this money out for energy conservation and the basics dont get done, it should be an absolute must written into there contracts

It still always amazes me how people are still getting installations not to regs and sadly do not know any different :eek:

get decent trv.s fitted.
no trv where room thermostat is fitted.
good luck.

it is a reg but im pretty sure eaga are exemp for what ever reason, i was fortunate enough to sample their main company and thats what the said...

I thought you only had to fit TRV's to the bedrooms to meet regs?
With TRV's all round bar the room with stat was best practice.

Sorry about the confusion guys - it was a warm front grant ant the installer did indeed fit TRVs to all but one (regs) and fit a room stat.

Yet to see it as she lives darn sarf but she is seems happy with it, just not the creeking chipboard flooring after it was lifted and then put back down any tips - I heard talcum power or is that *******s

Most warmfront installers don't lift chipboard and run surface above skirting.
Just take it up, batten and refix it with more screws.

yea I know , even when the estimator came round he said they dont lift the chipboard then the lads came and lifted it and hid most of the pipework. Result apart from the squeaky boards

This issue of fitting controls to meet Part L seems to have been turned on it's head.... I've been on my OFTEC course this week... It seems that such nonsense like TRVs may be omitted if the customer cannot afford to pay for such modifications. It was suggested that a letter stating this, signed by the customer should be used for the purpose of backside covering....

It may also follow that we may also leave the customer with gravity heating systems (If the manufacturer of the boiler would honour the guarantee)

Bearing in mind that we have paid through the nose for our Part L cert it makes me feel pretty sick

Welcome back to the dark ages thanks to those good ol' blood sucking big businessmen.... Screw the tax payer, screw the customer and screw the small buisinessman.... :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back