Trying out 12v LED MR16 bulbs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For various reasons I decided to use a plastic suspended ceiling system for my bathroom ceiling, rather than going to the hassle of getting it replastered. I thought that I could make it look quite snazzy by fitting led downlighters into it. I would have tried halogen's but I think that they would be way too hot for the plastic to handle.

Not really knowing anything about LED's at the start I've found that there's more than meets the eye to using these for room lighting...

1) You need to use a transformer which is specifically designed to drive LEDs rather than halogens.
2) Unless you use very expensive transformers you can't dim LEDs.
3) The multi LED MR16 bulbs produce a very tight beam of light, which isn't really any use for general room lighting, even if you put in a lot of downlighters. Check the beam angle, if it isn't specified then assume it has a very tight spot beam
4) The quality of light can vary a lot. I've tried 3 different types of white LED now, pure white ones are too blue to use, even ones which claim to be warm white can produce a very green light which isn't suitable for normal use.
5) Anything below 5w LED will be very dim, compared to a 35w-50w halogen.

To sum up, the only LED MR16 bulb I've tried which could be considered useable for normal house lighting as a replacement for a halogen would be the 5w single LED warm white 70degree beam angle ones, which are available for about 15 quid a piece from various web sites. For my project I'd required about 5 just to light a small bathroom, which makes it a very pricey proposition compared to a couple of quid for a compact CFD which will easily light the whole bathroom.

To sum up, for the moment, none of the LED's that I've tried seem suitable unless I want to pay about 80 quid for bulbs to light a small room. I'll keep an eye on the progress of these bulbs, as I'm sure that progress towards a true halogen replacement will be rapid, but for now I'll be patient and keep using a compact fluorescent.

Sponsored Links
you cant dim leds with a special tansformer either.

you can not dim leds end of story.

you can however pulse leds very very fast which give the appearance of dimming, but its not done with special transfomer.

you can also get mains voltage led lights that have all the elctroncis in for dropping the voltage.

there is also a par 38 sized led light available, perhaps this is what you want

Its the Mark-Space ratio of Pulse Width Modulation(PWM) that gives the desired dimming effect with Leds, ie the on to off time of the square waveform determines how bright the LED looks so a longer on time compared to off time would give a bright led whereas a longer off time to on time would give a dimmer led.

Sponsored Links
perhaps he should get
led-underwater-light.jpg

any colour you like since its DMX controlled and if it falls off the ceiling into the bath, no problem its waterproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back