Trying to change a single socket to a double...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I need to change single sockets in a bedroom for double sockets, does anyone know how to do this please? Any dvice appreciated.

thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Is the existing single socket flush or surface mounted on the wall?

If surface then it's a simple matter of buying a double surface back box, a double socket and swapping out the old fittings for new.

If the existing socket is flush then it becomes more of a job. The single back box needs to be removed, the wall hole enlarged to accept a new double back box then set in the plaster and damaged plaster repaired with bonding. Once that's all done it's then a straight forward re-termination of the existing L, N and E cores of both the ring cables.

Do remember to isolate the power on to the circuit via removal / switching off at the fuse board.

Some use these sockets, which converts a single to a double and require less work due to not having to change the existing back box.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331914&ts=20873&id=12849

p1424358_l.jpg

Thank you for your prompt reply!

The sockets are (thankfully) not flush with the wall. I will go and buy the backbox and socket now. I like the look of those screwfix converters. So will the wiring be the same as it is for the single do you think?

Thanks again
:D

If as you say your existing socket is surface it will only have a single size patress, the screwfix adaptor twin sockets are designed for a single size back box (it relies on the wall from stopping you putting anything behind it.

yes the wiring does not need changing, but just check the terminals are the same way round

you could also consider a 4 way block, which only needs to pe plugged in

AARS4WLX.JPG
one of these

Sponsored Links
to clarify what breezer just said ( confused me a little and I know what you were getting at.. )..

those screwfix converters ( available from other retailers and DIY stores also.. ) are for turning a flush single socket into a double socket..

they do not work on surface single boxes..

you just need to change the single back box for a double back box.. and front.

Thank you guys, I managed to convert my single sockets to (wait for it!) a double and a quad following your advice, so very grateful for your replies.

Thanks again
juliej :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back