Trying to install a double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, I'm trying to install a double dimmer switch from a regular double light switch. However, the wiring behind my switch is nothing like that on the instructions.

Any ideas please?

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 677
Sponsored Links
That's perfectly standard wiring:

3500bbae96569eee7ba0442d596d20aa

https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Single-way-lighting

The only difference with yours is that it's the last switch on that run - there is no outgoing cable with a supply to the next one.

But the connections to the switch itself would be the same if the circuit looped through the lights, as used to be traditional, rather than through the switches.

What do your instructions show?

Also, please, please take a bit of time to learn how lighting circuits are wired and how they work, so that you come to understand what you are doing when you fiddle with them. Genuine understanding is what is needed, not attempting to blindly follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually knowing why.

Great thanks, the last one I did was exactly the same so really simple. I think I'll leave this one for my Electrician brother to do for me. Thanks for the advice!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back