1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to predict what is above a ceiling

Discussion in 'Building' started by OldKettle, 3 Oct 2020.

1. OldKettle

OldKettle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I have an outbuilding (built around 1975) which has a plasterboard ceiling (which looks original).

Having spoken with the neighbours it seems that the roof was replaced within the last 10 years and does look reasonably new.

I would like to get access to the void above the plasterboard, with a view to possibly increasing the insulation and also possibly putting in some potlights to replace the existing strip lights.

There is a wooden panel in the ceiling which appears to provide access to the utilities coming in (has plumbing along with the electrics).

Before I take it down I was just hoping to get some thoughts on what I would encounter.

I have the original plans, which I have included below, and they do mention asbestos, hence my hesitation.

However, I suspect that if the roof has been replaced the asbestos will have been removed, as it appears to have been in the felt layers.

Even if it hasn't been removed I think that the Weyroc boards would form a barrier to the asbestos felt anyway.

I think if I go above the plasterboard I will just find the joists, topped with the Weyroc (or its replacement) and then insulation between the joists.

Do you think that is right, and should I exercise any caution regarding possible asbestos?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OldKettle, good evening.

As I see it, your main concern is the old roof felt which is a very old Spec with Asbestos Based reinforcing.

I really do not think that any felt could withstand 45 years without being replaced probably on several occasions???

For example, Insurers will not cover a claim for damage to a felt roof [by say Storm] if the felt is about or over 10 Years, that alone tells you something about life span of roof felt??

Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The only asbestos left is in the astos DPC;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They must have changed then. We moved into in a sixties built house in 1990 and we’d been in a few years when we had one of those big storms. We didn’t lose any tiles but our felt was ripped to shreds. It was a funny felt though - from what I remembered it was a waxy paper type of felt. Anyway, they paid to have the roof taken off, re-felted and refitted. We now have a plastic type felt.

7. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Mottie, answer is yes totally !!!

Insurers have [apparently had to] adopted the attitude of Claims Liability avoidance

Having said that? I have recently been involved in a claim for an Escape of Water, the Policy holder was claiming well over £50 K but after a Survey and a true scope of work the claim was settled at £ 17 K and the policy holder grabbed the £ 17 K. with both hands.

OldKettle, Sorry for his hi-jack.

Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links