Trying to predict what is above a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an outbuilding (built around 1975) which has a plasterboard ceiling (which looks original).

Having spoken with the neighbours it seems that the roof was replaced within the last 10 years and does look reasonably new.

I would like to get access to the void above the plasterboard, with a view to possibly increasing the insulation and also possibly putting in some potlights to replace the existing strip lights.

There is a wooden panel in the ceiling which appears to provide access to the utilities coming in (has plumbing along with the electrics).

Before I take it down I was just hoping to get some thoughts on what I would encounter.

I have the original plans, which I have included below, and they do mention asbestos, hence my hesitation.

However, I suspect that if the roof has been replaced the asbestos will have been removed, as it appears to have been in the felt layers.

Even if it hasn't been removed I think that the Weyroc boards would form a barrier to the asbestos felt anyway.

I think if I go above the plasterboard I will just find the joists, topped with the Weyroc (or its replacement) and then insulation between the joists.

Do you think that is right, and should I exercise any caution regarding possible asbestos?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
68E812A0-9297-4473-AA6D-A1D8F90A3A92.gif

OldKettle, good evening.

As I see it, your main concern is the old roof felt which is a very old Spec with Asbestos Based reinforcing.

I really do not think that any felt could withstand 45 years without being replaced probably on several occasions???

For example, Insurers will not cover a claim for damage to a felt roof [by say Storm] if the felt is about or over 10 Years, that alone tells you something about life span of roof felt??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
For example, Insurers will not cover a claim for damage to a felt roof [by say Storm] if the felt is about or over 10 Years, that alone tells you something about life span of roof felt??
They must have changed then. We moved into in a sixties built house in 1990 and we’d been in a few years when we had one of those big storms. We didn’t lose any tiles but our felt was ripped to shreds. It was a funny felt though - from what I remembered it was a waxy paper type of felt. Anyway, they paid to have the roof taken off, re-felted and refitted. We now have a plastic type felt.

They must have changed then

Mottie, answer is yes totally !!!

Insurers have [apparently had to] adopted the attitude of Claims Liability avoidance

Having said that? I have recently been involved in a claim for an Escape of Water, the Policy holder was claiming well over £50 K but after a Survey and a true scope of work the claim was settled at £ 17 K and the policy holder grabbed the £ 17 K. with both hands.

OldKettle, Sorry for his hi-jack.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back