Trying to remove shower thermostatic cartridge - help please

I very much doubt it is the boiler at fault ( on this occasion ).

Looks as if it may need a special tool.

Have you showed that photo to showerdoc?

OK thanks. Yes, I've shown the photo to showerdoc and they said to remove the chrome plate and try to get a spanner on the two slots on the front of the cartridge as this one looks like its screwed in to the body. When I said that I didn't think removing the plate would help, they said if I can get some long nosed pliers I may get them past the plate and into the two slots on the front of the cartridge to get it unscrewed. I need to find some long-nosed pliers to try this.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks. Yes, I've shown the photo to showerdoc and they said to remove the chrome plate and try to get a spanner on the two slots on the front of the cartridge as this one looks like its screwed in to the body. When I said that I didn't think removing the plate would help, they said if I can get some long nosed pliers I may get them past the plate and into the two slots on the front of the cartridge to get it unscrewed. I need to find some long-nosed pliers to try this.

Are you taking the Pizz ??
Good luck with the fookin Long nose Pliers.
As previously advised ... Remove the trim to expose the Flats !!!

Are you taking the Pizz ??
Good luck with the fookin Long nose Pliers.
As previously advised ... Remove the trim to expose the Flats !!!
That's the advice I was given. What's the best way to remove the trim please?

Baxi 105e have a fault where it only really shows up thermostatic showers. Gas 112 is an expert on these

Sponsored Links
As with the symptoms in OP: ..... To test: first test hot water at a tap outlet if OK the boiler will be on full flame , then turn the tap to reduce the flow and the boiler flame should go down (modulating) before going off and staying off ie; with insufficient flow. If the shower does the same then its most probably the shower unit. Flame modulation can be observed without removing the boiler cover through the small window.

If when testing the shower unit when set at your required temp or higher and the boiler flame goes on and off etc then its most probably the boiler and usually the secondary heat exchanger, which should be removed to see what is happening inside.

If its lime scale then replace unit not worth de-scaling as the unit is a reasonable price, however if its magnetite, shown as black flakes then you will need a kinetic gun to get most of it out. Blow from the other end from where the flakes are as not to blast them into the unit.If the flame modulates then the thermistor, gas valve can be discounted though you must have a RGI to test same.

Before any of the above is tested make sure the water reaching the unit is 10c - 12c higher than what you have set the temp at on the unit as the unit wont function as it should.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back