Trying to source hardwood for a wide window sill - 380mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Has anyone got any suggestions ? Trying to source a nice piece of hardwood to fit in my kitchen window sill which is 1280 mm long and 380mm wide. The issue I have found is that all the hardwood for window sills is either 220mm or 240 mm wide therefore I would need to join it. This is not ideal as I was not wanting to paint it.

I have considered other options....i.e piece of worktop, hardwood flooring etc but either the expense or look is not appealing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any school refurbishing going on near you? If so, check out lab bench tops - they're made from jointed Iroko and could do your job.
Failing that, I guess its edge jointing two strips of hardwood - simple enough but really needs to be biscuit jointed and glued up, using sash cramps.
John :)

there is a slim chance you may get something at your local timber importers but you'd have to buy a length probably 16ft long and it'd be 1 inch thick at the thinest. Also at that width even if you could find a bit it would probably be cupped, but they could certainly plane and thickness it for you for a price.

go to a local joiners and ask them to make you a cill.they will glue a few bits together to the size you require.

Sponsored Links
anything greater than 125mm should be laminated in 75to125mm wide strips with growth rings alternating up and down for stability

Hi Folks.

Thnaks for the helpful response so far. I have tried my local timber merchants and the widest they do is 290mm on special order. I was trying to avoid going with the jointed/glued solution as the window sill is very visible in the kitchen.

Hi Folks.

Thnaks for the helpful response so far. I have tried my local timber merchants and the widest they do is 290mm on special order. I was trying to avoid going with the jointed/glued solution as the window sill is very visible in the kitchen.

not shure what your avertion to doing it properly is
i could easily find a 400mm board but why would you want a board that will cup or split down the middle when secured

several boards laminated together can have more carricter and will be perfictly flat and smooth ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back