Trying to wire a bathroom pull cord light - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(disclaimer: i have no electrical experience so bare with me!)

Hello to all -

Just joined today as having huge problems with this one and its really bugging me now.

Tenant of mine broke the pull cord in bathroom and I am attempting to fix my fitting a new pull cord - there is also an extractor fan which is linked to the light so I presume this is connected through here too?

Ok got the previous fitting off and now trying to sort the new one - they were both quite different. New fitting copper block space for the thick 4 core wire which has green and yellow outer i presume!

The other wires coming down as follows - 2 black cables and a blue cable - these terminate into a clear block and dont connect to anything (never did in previous fitting either)

then:
three quite thick red wires
one slightly thinner red wire which has a slightly lighter shed of red
one yellow wire

the available connectors on the black block on the fitting are L1 / L2 and COM.

Can anybody please help me with what cable into where???

all help very much appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
definitely 4 red wires

as stated one is slightly less red and slightly thinner than the other 3 - its more redy/pink

the other 3 look very much the same

ok it doesnt matter if you mix them with trial and error so it may take a couple of attempts
power off

yellow def goes in L1 with one of the thicker red (anyone for now)
thin red and other 2 reds in COM
leave blacks and blue in connector block

if it doesnt work swap thicker reds (power off1st) untill you put the correct thicker red in with the yellow

Sponsored Links
i am assuming the yellow in the fan is in the S/L switched live terminal, usually is on most jobs

Yeeeeeessssss

That worked at second cable combo attempted

thanks so much for your help

saved me hours of pulling my help - much appreciated!!

I think I'm Mr Grumpy tonight....

Landlord with no electrical experience tries fixing an electrical accessory in a bathroom = one worried tenant.

Why not pay an electrician??

Because ************************************************************

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back