TT earthing-Wooden building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Large Wooden Rowing Club Clubhouse on "stilts" (concrete walls, near river).
TT supply. Main incomer has slow 100mA RCCD, then 30mA RCCD to ring. All lights pre 30mA trip.
Changing room has one shower, with florescent fittings out of reach, fed with PVC twin cable (no earth), difficult to rewire.
Wall switches no earth.
Gas supply from tank to Flash boiler (in changing room), & cooker in kitchen, (both non mains ignition).Incoming gas bonded to seperate rod.
Can the 100mA trip be considered adequate protection, or would it be best to replace the c/room fittings with double insulated ones?
What about sec. bonding, pipework to basins, cisterns?
Ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Light in shower room should be earthed. They can be double insulated only if it is a supervised location, i.e. only trained personell to carry out works which will not impair the class 2 insulation. Gas should be bonded to the MET, it should be on the same rod as the rest of the building. Supplementary bonding is required between all extraneous and exposed conductive parts in a location containing a bath or shower basin.

Sounds about right for a TT supply in terms of 30mA for rings and 100 for everything else.

Fittings out of reach?

Are they 3m or higher? If so, they are out of the zones. If not, they need to be suitable for that zone. Anti-corrosives should be rated highly enough, but can you find double insulated ones? If the fittings are Class I, then they need an earth. Same with switches.

Sec. bonding?

You mean Supplementary bonding. Still required.

Thanks guys. Fittings are below 3m, so was thinking of using those circular polycarbonate low energy fittings (outdoor types), will be class 2.
Suppose I could always put another 30mA trip on the lighting circuit, that would make it safer?
Doing both would surely overcome the lack of earth wire to the fittings problem?

Sponsored Links
1)You may consider putting a class 2 luminaire in now, but what about next time it is changed?
2)Putting an RCD on the lighting circuit may well make it safer, but will it make it safe?
3)Sorry, I don't agree.
I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and get an electrician to come and do a periodic inspection report (PIR) to see what is required to bring the place up to spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back