Turfing up an embankment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just cleared an embankment running along the rear boundary of my garden. The embankment rises about 1.5m to a fence which is between us and the adjacent garden. The slope varies, but is mainly 45-50deg, and about 60deg at its steepest. I want to grass this embankment. I would prefer to use turf rather than seed (because we have 2 dogs, because its going to be easier to deal with weeds which I'm bound to have missed, and because I'm impatient for a green result).

To make sure the turves don't flop down the slope as I lay them, I intend to peg them in place with some small sticks. I shall also keep them all well-watered.

Q1. Is there anything else I should do to encourage grass to grow on a steep embankment?
Q2. Would I be better off using seed in this situation?
Q3. If I get it turfed by, say, 1st week in April, is that OK, or will that be too late in the season?

Sponsored Links
two main problems you have is keeping it watered and the fact that it wont retain the water that well. Make sure you mix in some decent compost before you turf it, It should take ok, but it will dry out quicker than most other areas, especially if its south facing. The sooner you do it the better, espescially with the summers we seem to be getting now

Thermo said:
two main problems you have is keeping it watered and the fact that it wont retain the water that well. Make sure you mix in some decent compost before you turf it, It should take ok, but it will dry out quicker than most other areas, especially if its south facing. The sooner you do it the better, espescially with the summers we seem to be getting now

And impending hosepipe bans!

Rethinking this, I'm now probably going to seed it. September time, I guess. Weeds won't be quite so virulent then and there might be more water about.

Sponsored Links
probably more rain now and the turf will be activley growing now giving it more of a chance to root. you could go for a drought tolerant turf

Problem is, Thermo, that I've got ne hell of a lot of bramble roots (and other unknown things) to clear before I do any creative work, and time is against me. Realistically, it's going to be May before I can get to the planting stage, and summer sun on Devon soil = concrete. By that time, I might just as well wait until the autumn and sow seed.

ah in that case! i personally would still go for turf, much better finish, but if youre not to worried then seed it.

Why turf, Thermo? And when would you lay turf - in this instance, given that the earliest I can lay it would be May?

in the circumstances you have lay it after the summer as you suggest. Turf is produced on a large scale by machine. That menas in general it is produced with the right mix and coverage of seeds, on the right soil and looked after fertilised etc. That means you get a well produced (or should if you get it from a good reputable source and its freshly cut) and looked after product. If you seed it you are in the lap of the gods and the birds, as well as the cats and other animals that dig away in your soil. With turf you get an instant finish and providing its watered it has enough of a growing medium ie the soil its already cut in, until it roots. With seeding you can end up with bare patches, over populated patches etc etc which can all take time. Its all a personal preference but i always go for turf.

Well, that confirms it, then. Turf it is. 'Dowen 'ere in Debn' there are a couple of turf suppliers quite near - you can go and watch it grow, if you want. So, I can buy it very locally (so it'll be used to the climate and the soil) and it will be freshly cut (dug?). That ought to give it the best chance of survival.
Thanks, Thermo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back