Turn outside light into motion light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
I recently moved into a new house which has a light above the front door which is controlled by a switch on the inside. What id like to do is change this light so i can still turn it on/off using the light switch inside, but also so that it automatically turns on for 30 seconds when nearby motion is detected (ideally when its dark outside, but at any time of day would be acceptable)

Is this possible?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a lot of lights with built in PIR's available.

Usually turning the switch off and on briefly sets the light to be permeantly on. (or on until dawn)

Thanks for your response. I guess my question is around what kind of work would i need to have done to make this work. Would an electrician need to change the wiring?
Can you point me towards one of the lights you mention?

No wiring would need to change, just a simple case of replacing the light.

For examples search for "lantern PIR" on ebay for example.

Once you have selected one, check it has the override function I mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Big thanks for your help. Ive found the items you mention. So how does the override usually works on these. Is it a case of when the switch is set to off, it will always come on when someone is in the vicinity?

no.

switch off, no power to light so it can't come on (useful in summer)
switch on, automatic mode, light comes on when motion detected.

then as per manufactures instructions (e.g a quick flick of the switch, light on constantly)

got it - ill email the sellers and find out how it works for that particular lamp (or if its any different to how you described). Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back