Turning off water!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to change a combo tap in the kitchen to stop it dripping. Cold water is turned off by stopcock under sink but hot water feed I think is in the airing cupboard.

Any idea on where to start with any of the possible things to turn in these pictures. No handle on any of them that it looks like Google says they should have. I don't want to damage or turn things that could cause more problems then just a dripping tap.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.JPG
    IMG_1646.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Look at the bottom of your cylinder there will be a pipe going up into the loft there should be a red circular head valve or a lever valve , that will be the isolation point for hot water , providing one has been fitted

you stop the cold water going into the hot water cylinder ,from the cold water storage tank ( usually in the loft). follow the pipe ,which is low down on the right side of the cylinder ( not showing on pics). it MAY have an isolation valve on that pipe ,but higher up. if not ,it may be on the loft tank ,near the outlet low down. you could just leave your main stopcock off ,and drain the loft tank bY turning all hot taps on. this will waste all your hot water though.

Thanks for the input.

This is the only thing I found that looks like it has some thing to turn, but it doesn't turn and appears to have ridges even stopping it.

To fix my tap and in the interest of time draining water might be the solutions today but in the long term I think I need to find an alternative solution. Turning off the hot water shouldn't be this complicated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
It should turn , try turning it towards you , bare in mind if you drain the tank in the loft you may create and air lock

Thanks, but def not wanting to turn. Two of us have tried it, both ways and with tools! any tip on making it turn? Those ridges definitely a sticking point!

should this hole on the front have some thing in it?

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 127

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back