tv and phone outlets in kitchen - part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, should i notify the council if i intend to T- off above mentioned cables and divert them into kitchen from the other side of a stud wall (living room side).

b/

Sponsored Links
No a kitchen is not in the list of special locations only where the location contains a bath tub or shower basin. Swimming pools or paddling pools. Hot air saunas does work on telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes need to be notified.
Eric

the tv outlet will also have satellite connecion, as I understand it, its sends 18v to the LNB in the dish.

Can i take it for sure that I'm ok in all regards as long as i follow BS 7671 to the letter? (the oulet will be within 3m from the sink).
b/

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure where some of the advice in this post is coming from, but electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable under Part P of the building regulations. Indeed, kitchens are not classed as a special location, but they are quite specifically exempt from the non-notifiable category.

From the IET web site:

IET said:
Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations

Now, not that I condone or recommend the contravention of any regulations, but it is my personal opinion that notifying for the purpose of installing TV/Sat/Phone outlets is laughable, and I'd be suprised if your BCO were even interested. Other than looking at your cable routes and general quality of work, what exactly would they be expected to test?!

Page 8 under GENERAL GUIDANCE
Table 1 Work that need not be notified to building control bodies
Work consisting of: etc etc
Work not in a special location, on:
Telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes
Prefabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections
Table 2 Special locations and installations
Special locations
locations contains a bath tub or shower basin
Swimming pools or paddling pools
Hot air saunas
I can’t see any way the above can be read as saying anything else but you don’t need to notify.
Eric

I'm not sure where some of the advice in this post is coming from, but electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable under Part P of the building regulations. Indeed, kitchens are not classed as a special location, but they are quite specifically exempt from the non-notifiable category.

From the IET web site:

IET said:
Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations
Maybe the advice in the post was coming from people who'd taken the trouble to understand what the Building Regulations actually say, rather than relying on unofficial "guidance" written by people who couldn't be bothered to find out what the Building Regulations actually say...

The information I used came from http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000001253.html which has a crown copy write of 2008 so is up to date one problem with the Planning Portal is dates. (I know I have been directed to documents dated 2000 which is well before Part P) the PDF available at the link I have given has a date 15 March 2006.
I have repeated in the post word for word what it said and reading it I can't come up with any interpretation other than you don't need Part P for TV and Telephone in a kitchen and common sense would also make one expect this to be the case.
Eric

The Approved Document says that it's not notifiable, not that it's not within the scope of the legislation.

Whether you think it's necessary or not is irrelevant - the law exists, and Part P of the Building Regulations applies to installing phone & TV aerial outlets...

The original question was "should i notify" and it seems most people agree the answer is "no".
As to if it comes under Part P or not is not the question and to discuss the technical definition is not really helpful.
Eric

The answer is no, as it's not notifiable.

But I'm sorry you regard it as unhelpful to have your mistake, or irrelevances, pointed out.

You said "I can't come up with any interpretation other than you don't need Part P for TV and Telephone in a kitchen and common sense would also make one expect this to be the case."

Your "common-sense" view that Part P isn't needed for TV and phone outlets in a kitchen is irrelevant. I'm sure we can all come up with a list of laws which we believe common sense would say are not needed, but the fact is that Part P does apply to this work, however nonsensical you, or anyone else, thinks that is.

What isn't helpful is for you, in answer to the question "should I notify?" to say that your interpretation of the guidance is that the law isn't needed. That may be a valid personal view, but I can't see how you can reasonably claim that it's a valid interpretation of the Approved Document, or that people should be advised about notification requirements on the basis of your view on whether such work should have been included in the scope of the legislation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back