TV man left us with this - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wanted a TV in a bedroom which didn't have a coax point already in it. My partner got his 'guy' in to put the new point in, but to mount the TV on the wall too. I wanted the cables hidden.

Now, I didn't see this after the guy had left as a cupboard sits in front of it and I only really focused on it as I was decorating the new skirting board. When I noticed I said nothing as my partner is extremely sensitive to anything that sounds even vaguely like criticism. But here's what I'm left with. I've no idea how to sort this out.

The black cable is the coax - it's runs in from the outside wall and into the cavity then out back again to the TV. The white cable is a bog standard extension lead that's plugged into a socket about a foot away from the hole. I'm no electrician, but I don't think this is right at all and I don't know how to fix it. My partner just wants to fill the hole and leave the wires hanging out the wall. I think I need an electrician but is there anything they can (or would) do with the coax?

Ps. I've another hole further up the wall so can see this. Again, I don't think those wires should be left like that (shouldn't they be protected from damage somehow if run behind plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
The hole up the wall is an easy enough fix with a small piece of plasterboard and filler. The one below is a bit more tricky the person who's done this work hasn't done it to a high standard, you've a right to be critical of it!

Put one of these over the hole that the cables come out of ....

upload_2022-3-27_19-38-35.png

The hole up the wall is an easy enough fix with a small piece of plasterboard and filler. The one below is a bit more tricky the person who's done this work hasn't done it to a high standard, you've a right to be critical of it!

Thanks. Glad it's not just me. My partner (much as I love him) is dangerously clueless on DIY and doubts me when I say something isn't right (I mean, I'm usually right thanks to having more homeowner experience than him but he's the man so how can that be?) ;)

I've read how to fill the big hole so no worries on that one.

Sponsored Links

View attachment 265440

Ha! I've got a brushed metal version of one of those in my Amazon basket. If it was just the coax, that's what I'd use without question but I'm concerned that the extension lead is left like that. I mean, is it a building regs issue? And should the brush plate be fixed into a proper back box (some adverts imply that's the case). If so, it's a bit beyond my DIY.

Personally I wouldn't be TOO worried, as long as the white cable has a three pin fused plug on the end - if it's been connected into the back of an existing mains socket that is a bit more of a can of worms.

Yes, it's fairly rough, but is it actually dangerous? I'd personally say no, but it could certainly have been done better/more professionally.

The 'proper' way would be to add a new socket near the TV, fed from the power circuit the same as the others are, but do you want to (or pay someone else to?) go to this amount of work/effort/expense? Even if you did this, you'd still have the coax feed taking its current route, unless you move that too.

View attachment 265440
Personally I wouldn't botther with the brush plate, the cable will need to be threaded through from one end and the 13A plug or socket will need to be removed and replaced.
Basically all that's required is a plate where a cable can exit without being disturbed to any extent.
Maybe more like a blanking plate and using a round file carefully file a couple of (or a single) slots in one edge:
upload_2022-3-27_23-58-48.png

Personally I wouldn't botther with the brush plate, the cable will need to be threaded through from one end and the 13A plug or socket will need to be removed and replaced.
I personally wouldn't bother either (although mainly because I don't really like the look of the things!), but I suspect that one may well be able to wiggle a 13A plug through the aperture of a brush plate such as the one illustrated above.

Kind Regards, John

I personally wouldn't bother either (although mainly because I don't really like the look of the things!), but I suspect that one may well be able to wiggle a 13A plug through the aperture of a brush plate such as the one illustra
Kind Regards, John[/QUOTEd

Never fitted one then?

Never fitted one then?
I can't say I have, but the aperture in the one pictured above looks to be about 50mm square. If that's correct, then I would not expect there to be a problem in wiggling most 13A plugs through it. However, if you know that to be wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

Kind Regards, John

I personally wouldn't bother either (although mainly because I don't really like the look of the things!), but I suspect that one may well be able to wiggle a 13A plug through the aperture of a brush plate such as the one illustrated above.

Kind Regards, John
The ones I've handled stand no chance of getting a 13A through. Not even the double size.
However the one pictured may very well look like a bigger aperture than I'm used to.

The ones I've handled stand no chance of getting a 13A through. Not even the double size.
However the one pictured may very well look like a bigger aperture than I'm used to.
As I said, I've never tried.

However, the aperture in the one pictured above extends almost as far as the hoes for the faceplate screws, which makes it about a 50mm square - and, having just tried, I can confirm that I can get most 13A plugs through a hole that size in a piece of cardboard! That' assuming, of course, that there is nothing behind the aperture which reduces its effective size!!

Given that one can(I presume) 'hook' the earth pin over the edge of the aperture, one only has to get the L&N pins 'through' and they (plus 'case') are rarely more than 40mm or so.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back