TV on Lighting Ring Main?

Sponsored Links
I’m feeling left out. He hasn’t posted anything on my profile. :sneaky:
How do you think I feel, no one has ever posted anything on mine :)
Don't feel too bad - only 9 things (including today's) have been posted on mine in the last 10 years, and the most recent prior to today was in 2015.

I've never really worked out what is the intended purpose/use of these messages on profile pages - they seem to be a public version of PMs!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can also remove profile posts should anyone require this service...

Thanks for the offer, but I can live with them at the moment - 9 in 10 years is hardly a burden. Mind you, if that changes, so might my response to your offer!

In passing, do you (or anyone) have any idea as to the answer to my implied question above - as to what on earth is the intended purpose/poiunt of these 'profile messages'?

Kind Regards, John

I can see a risk of people seeking advice getting incorrect information sent to their profiles and this incorrect information could not then be challenged by those with the correct information.

I can see a risk of people seeking advice getting incorrect information sent to their profiles and this incorrect information could not then be challenged by those with the correct information.
I hadn't given any thought to this particular facility as I knew nothing of it until yesterday but you have raised a very good point, however the PM service effectively has the same facilities but completely hidden from others. I can well imagine a rogue contributer [mentioning no names] private messaging to say: "Ignore the other idiots because they don't know what they're talking about, only I know the truth and:
'whatever happens do not fit a 13A socket on a light circuit as it is extremly dangerous and liable to catch fire'
'I said bad practice to have a 13 a socket on the lighting circuit. '
'The ground floor lighting should NOT be a ring. Rings are only used for socket circuits.'

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ing-and-dimmer-question.466022/#ixzz6s6HPxtQm

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ok-to-label-as-5a.521601/page-2#ixzz6s6GyM6PM

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/led-lights.486272/#ixzz6s6GN1muc

subject matter chosen to match the thread and all of the above edited versions quoted from around the forum shown in grey are incorrect and should be ignored.

Last edited:
I hadn't given any thought to this particular facility as I knew nothing of it until yesterday but you have raised a very good point, however the PM service effectively has the same facilities but completely hidden from others. I can well imagine a rogue contributer [mentioning no names] private messaging to say: "Ignore the other idiots because they don't know what they're talking about, only I know the truth and:....
As I said, these 'profile messages' seem to effectively be publicly-visible PMs and, as such, I cannot think of any legitimate reason for anyone wanting to use them.

Moving from 'legitimate reason's, the only reason at all that I can think of is (as presumably happened yesterday) if someone has been banned from posting to a particular thread by wants to respond to a post in that thread in a manner which is, at least theoretically, 'visible to everyone' - which I would think would be an argument against the existence of such a facility!

So, yes, bernard had somewhat of a 'good point', but one that (as far as the 'recipient' of the 'profile message' is concerned) we can't really do anything about - since, if 'profile messages' did not exist, the same would presumably be done via PMs.

One could argue that people other than the 'recipient' (of a 'profile message') might be mislead by (uncorrected) incorrect information in such a message but, in practice, I imagine that virtually no-one (other than the 'recipient') ever sees such messages - so hardly an issue.

I would still be interested to learn what is the perceived point of these 'profile messages'.

Kind Regards, John

Wow I've been distracted recently and missed all the fun. Anyway just to spoil the Winston thread, can I confirm if I go down the route of a socket and a 5 amp (hopefully no typo this time) fuse, I should be OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back