TV trips neighbours RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about explains the symptoms.

Each time they plug their TV in and switch it on [both operations required] it takes out neighbours RCBO.

I have sorted the issue and will give the details later, it's something I'm a little surprised doesn't cause more problems.

Block of 9 fairly new flats ~5 years old.

I'll give it a few hours to wait for some guesses before I give more details.

EDIT: Apologies I managed to delete a chunk of text before posting. This is the TV set top box not the TV itself. The RCBO can then be reset when the box is working.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Set top box for Freeview or Freesat? Is ariel or dish shared by other flats?

Aerial distribution system, outer of the coax cable ( screen ) not earthed in the installation..

Neighbours's equipment has capacitive connection Live to the aerial screen. As the screen is floating ( not earthed ) there is virtually no current through the capacitive connection Live to the aerial screen. Not enough to trip the RCBO

The "offending" equipment has a capacitive connection from Neutral to the coax screen. Now the Live in the neighbour's flat can drive current through capacitive connection the onto the coax screen and onward through the other to capacitive connection to the Neutral in the "offending" flat.

If the equipment ( any of it ) has only Live and Neutral and no Earth then the internal circuity's 0 volt will be floating somewhere between Live an Neutral, typically at 115 volts AC.

Sponsored Links
Set top box for Freeview or Freesat? Is ariel or dish shared by other flats?
This is a very basic freeview terrestrial receiver, the flats have communal system for both services.

I was the 3rd person to be asked to look at this and the freeview box owner was one of the first to move since lockdown.

? Lost neutral in socket and capacitive suppression inrush in box feeding line to earth perhaps ?

My initial thought was, as others have assumed, to do with the aerial distribution but unplugging at all points so all that was left plugged into the socket was the set top box.

Being a modern building the internal walls are metal studwork and plasterboard filled with glass fibre for sound reduction. there is a row of accessories:
2x DSSO, 5A light socket, satellite twin socket, TV/VHF radio twin socket, doorbell repeater and another DSSO all mounted using plasterboard boxes.

The final socket is obviously added on as it's crooked and a different make and is the only socket to cause the problem [and having chatted with the resident their power tripped when they plugged their TV in that socket]. I removed the face plate to find it wired with single red/black singles. Rather foolishly I didn't immediately clock the colours and the age of the building until I removed the other face plates to find brown/blue singles looped through and no red/black.

Remember at this point I was working in a property where the resident was not currently having any problems, their set top box worked perfectly and could be powered up and down without any issues. While doing this the neighbours RCBO had tripped and was in that tripped state.

Next ideas?

Last edited:
The added socket was installed by some previous tenant to steal power from the next door flat? Any signs that they dug through to a socket on the opposite face of the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back