1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

TV trips neighbours RCD

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by SUNRAY, 10 Sep 2020.

1. davelx

davelx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OK, so it sounds like the feed has been taken before the RCBO but the return is after it? I assume it's a SP RCBO?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Neutral from next doors supply.

SP rcbo

4. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah absolutly.
    The wiring is all done in single running through the unprotected holes in the metal studs. The additional socket was connected to a brown, a blue and a green/yellow using Scotchloks, as chance would have it they got the wrong Blue.

As chance would have it the power of the set top box was insufficient to trip the RCD but enough inrush to trip the RCBO, once running the current is low enough to not trip the RCBO.

5. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Scotch locks. That’s a new one for house wiring !

Who fitted it?

I’m surprised and worried it won’t trip the devices.
    The house you were working in had an RCD then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes the flat with the dodgy socket has a board with 2 RCD's they test as 18/21mA & 17/22mA. The running current of set top box is only 12mA [according to my cheap clamp mm] so below tripping current.
    Neighbour has RCBO's, the ring trips as 14&17mA so the inrush is too much for it but running current is OK.

7. Adam_151

Adam_151

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :eek: Are you seriously saying that the wiring was 6491x just chucked through the inside of a (metallic) stud wall! and presumably other building voids too? :eek::eek:

8. Sponsored Links
  9. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh yes, when I fished them all out at that point I found 8 each of brown, blue & green yellow in various sizes, all virtually unidentifiable between the 2 properties. I have raised it with the freeholders agent and NICEIC as there are stickers on both installation but no contractors name.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  11. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    oops posting to wrong thread.

12. SimonH2

SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't see this first time around, but my first thought when you said scotchlocks and picked up the wrong blue was the same as Adam's. WTF, singles just chucked through a partition wall, and neighbours share the hollow wall :evil:
    Mind you, I find the idea of having just that partition wall between flats rather disturbing. Wouldn't have thought it met building regs for noise control, doubt it meets regs for fire resistance, and it's not exactly secure since it takes bu**er all effort to kick through one (wonder what an insurance company would say if someone visiting, with or without permission, next door broke through and cleaned the flat out).

13. SUNRAY

SUNRAY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    sadly this construction is fairly common in low rise flats: 100mm metal studs, double layers of PB both sides and filled with glass fibre - used to be rolls but now batts.
    Sometimes a layer of OSB or ply in there too.

14. Mikefromlondon

Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I started to read this thread and as I reached half way I figured out two possibilities, that the socket is wired incorrectly and the TV box is using an earth as the neutral or is using a borrowed neutral from possibly a lighting circuit........ oh well no surprises, but the chap who added that socket should have used his neighbours live as well as he did use his neutral to get free energy!