tv wallplate help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tring to fix in a tv wallplate, im having trouble though as i cant get a picture i've followed the instructions that came with the unit but still nothing.

is there something i could be doing wrong? does anybody know of a guide somewhere to fitting these things as its holding me up with my lcd mounting.

cheers

Sponsored Links
It would help if you described in more detail what this "wallplate" was and how you have connected it.

One of the 'favourite' faults is an odd strand of the outer braiding left in contact with the centre conductor. Testing between the inner and outer of the socket with a multimeter will show a short circuit

On soldered connections, heat can travel back up the wires and melt the dielectric in the cable.

Without knowing the exact setup of your socket, it's mormally something like:-

Strip outer sheath , and fold back all of the braiding (and foil, if present) over the outer sheath. inspect for any loose strands.

Strip dielectric from centre conductor. leave enough dielectric projecting from the cable butt to reach the central pin of the connector.

Terminate centre conductor on central pin

Fix the cable clamp over outer sheath and braiding.

i've tried this and im getting no picture at all, i've stripped the black out cable back and im left with the foil and copper strands, i've folded them back on the black sheath.

then i've clamped the white bit (braid?) onto the silver connector and the copper conducter onto the small screw in plate.

is there perhaps a wrong cable im using to connect from aerial to tv? i have a female to female white cable.

when i assemble the cable back to normal it works fine so im racking my brains as to what i've done wrong.

perhaps i have the wrong tv wallplate?

Sponsored Links
the copper foil is what you clamp, that's the braid..
the white bit is just an insulator..

there are also "fm" outlet plates that are for radio aerials, they have different filters in them to only pass radio frequencies, so yes you may have the wrong plate.

One of the 'favourite' faults is an odd strand of the outer braiding left in contact with the centre conductor. Testing between the inner and outer of the socket with a multimeter will show a short circuit

Could be a bit misleading here, a lot of TV antenna use a "folded" dipole as the active element of a Yagi beam. This would present a short circuit to a multimeter connected across it.
Of course at 700odd Mhz the impedance would be 75ohms!

Could be a bit misleading here, a lot of TV antenna use a "folded" dipole as the active element of a Yagi beam. This would present a short circuit to a multimeter connected across it.
Of course at 700odd Mhz the impedance would be 75ohms!

:oops: Oops.... I forgot the other end of the cable is already terminated :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back