Twin and Earth/ 3Core

Tls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondered if somebody could help.

I want to run a spur off of my ring main, I know I need 2.5mm Twin and Earth cable to do this. But I only have 5 meters and I need 7 :(
I don't want to go and buy some more cable as this is the only spur I am planning on running in. (and I'm tight)

I do have around 10metres of 3core 2.5mm cable, can I use this instead and sleeve it to the correct colours?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
are you saying you have some 3 core and earth 2.5 cable?? if so i would be sure it is as you say it is as that is definiteley not a standard commonly used cable .More likeley to be 3 core and earth 1.5mm

Nick

Sponsored Links
It's 3 core with no earth. Looks like twin and earth but isn't.
Red, Yellow and Blue are the colours beyond the sheath. It's deffinitily 2.5mm, I'm not sure where I acquired it from

are you saying you have some 3 core and earth 2.5 cable?? if so i would be sure it is as you say it is as that is definiteley not a standard commonly used cable .More likeley to be 3 core and earth 1.5mm

Nick

Have to agree, 2.5 mm2 3 core and earth is quite a rarity - so make sure it's not 1.0 or 1.5 mm2.

B&Queue should sell small quantities of 2.5 mm2, around the 10 metre length.

You can get 2.5mm² T&E cable cut to the length at any electrical wholesaler.

Don't worry that you aren't trade, they'll take anyone's money - times is tough!

It's 3 core with no earth. Looks like twin and earth but isn't.
Red, Yellow and Blue are the colours beyond the sheath. It's deffinitily 2.5mm, I'm not sure where I acquired it from
So its solid core cable, not flex, but in 'old 3phase' colours? Without earth?

I have to admit, for what 10m would cost, do it right.

Edit, bold added

Daniel

Hi all,

Are you absolutely certain about the cable size?

Red/yellow/blue without earth is quite likely to be 1960's cable, which will predate metric sizes.

Are the conductors stranded, consisting of three strands each? If so, then what you probably have is 3/.029 or 3/.036 from the mid sixties - Very common for 2-way lighting circuits at that time.

Wilkinsons and local hardware shops sell 2.5. cable by the metre. (and indeed other common sizes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back