Twin and earth cable under floor screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm extending the remain cable in my conservatory, can I put in twin and earth under the new floor screed which will be 75mm thickness and will be round the edge of the conservatory and the floor finish will be ceramic tiles. I have seen it done without any protection but wanted to make sure it was ok, I don't mind putting in SWA which but might be unnecessary ?

Sponsored Links
Run it in rigid or flexy conduit or use lengths of waste pipe. That will protect it against movement and the rigours of the screed laying.

If its a ring, make sure you run two cables!

Thank you, I'm having floor sockets in my conservatory because of full glass type therefore have no choices, I don't know if it's done this way, I'm thinking of using cable tray and nuts/bolts the cooker boxes which is 68mm thickness to the cable tray and plastic pipe in between for the T&E cable so the sockets all line up after floor screeding is done which will be 75mm thickness, any problem or how is it done?
CT4.JPG

AP628.JPG

Sponsored Links
Masona - do you plan to ever wash the tiled floor?
Yes, I'm fully aware the problem with water but we will take great care with dry to dampness towel and not the usual wet to clean the floor. I feel I don't have much choice as I having full glass conservatory and no where to put wall sockets because of the shape of the upvc profile frame without being an eyesore unless they do slimline wall socket?

Have you had a sub floor poured yet? Is there then a finish screed to bring the depth up?

If so, I would fit the deepest boxes you can to the sub floor, packing up if the FFL is much higher than the boxes top. If you can source them (not many local places will stock them), use boxes extensions to extend the galv box, and fit the galv box to the sub floor.

Then run conduit between the boxes, using female conduit adaptors at the boxes. If you need to put in a bend or a set, pull them with a spring - dont buy pre-fab bends. No more than 180 deg worth of bends (two 90's, one 90 and two 45's etc).

Take the conduit back to a convenient place in the house, and from there turn your rings T+E into singles. Use an adaptable box (gewiss etc), or a flushed box if you so wish. The box could be in a cupboard, under the kitchen kick board etc.

Make sure your galv boxes finish approx 4 or 5mm below the FFL - level with the screed would be good if you are tiling. Most floor sockets do not fit flush if you fit the galv box flush with the FFL.

I think you have been chatting with someone about this - You mention "remain" in your original post, when I assume meant "Ring Main". Either way, you don't have a "Ring Main", you have a "Ring Final Circuit".

Not sure why you mention cable tray to be honest. I would secure the conduit with galv saddles less the spacer bar portion (because very few wholesalers stock or know about plain old saddles).

I will also mention RCD, Part P, Pull-through, round conduit, saddles, MK, earth sleeving and 20mm - just incase you fancy a google :LOL:

Have you had a sub floor poured yet? Is there then a finish screed to bring the depth up?
Not yet, getting it ready and start digging the footing on Monday
I think you have been chatting with someone about this - You mention "remain" in your original post, when I assume meant "Ring Main". Either way, you don't have a "Ring Main", you have a "Ring Final Circuit".
Okay just a bad habit calling it a ring main!
Not sure why you mention cable tray to be honest. I would secure the conduit with galv saddles less the spacer bar portion (because very few wholesalers stock or know about plain old saddles).
I'm thinking so all the sockets will be in straight line specially with the tiles plus the floor screed hold all the cable tray and sockets down better spreading the load maybe, because I'm not sure the concrete base before the floor screed will still be a bit green for fixings?
I will also mention RCD, Part P, Pull-through, round conduit, saddles, MK, earth sleeving and 20mm - just incase you fancy a google :LOL:
I'm just putting in the cable/sockets ready so the floor screed can be done then the electrician can finish the work at the later stage.

uhu.. and what about...

553.1.2 Except for SELV or a special circuit from Regulation 553.1.5, every plug and socket-outlet shall be of the non-reversible type, with provision for the connection of a protective conductor.

----------------------------------------

553.1.4 Every socket-outlet for household and similar use shall be of the shuttered type and, for a.c. installation, shall preferably be of a type complying with BS 1363.

and for the OP..

522.3.1 A wiring system shall be selected and erected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, use and maintainance. The completed wiring system shall comply with the IP degree of protection relevant to the particular location.

NOTE: Special considerations apply to wiring systems liable to frequent splashing, immersion or submersion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back