twin and earth external insurance issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im so lost at the moment. I have a floodlight wired outside by an electrician years ago. it is connected to the house lighting circuit. it uses twin and earth externally to the IP65 junction box .its for disabled access, registered blind property.
as we know led floodlights sometimes dont last so we got it changed from electrical insurance company.
he didnt set the sensitivity correct so it goes off with cars on the road
when I called them back they said they havent been allocated the correct time to fix this job then when i questioned it as i took time off work he changed it to " we cant work on that it has twin and earth going to the ip65 box"...its about 2 metres exposed but its not damaged at all. sun doesnt even face this way to the house .
he just found an excuse as he didnt have enough time

my question is . we have had this light changed from the same company 1 week ago and last year with the same wiring so how can they refuse now , they started the job so they should finish it surely.

or not touch it in the first place?
any advice as its wound me up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Twin and earth is not good in sun light, it will in the end crack, but it will likely last 10 years plus, but it technically should not be used in sun light.

As to sensitivity of PIR, I have same problem. I theroy PIR detectors look for heat, reverse a car up drive and they often will not light, as radiator at front, but I know high wind and trees will set it off, and they are not hot. Likely masking and unmasking some other heat source.

I have three lamps now without PIR's and Smart bulbs or socket adaptors instead. Great for me, not so good for visitors we are not expecting.

As a radio ham I would walk the dog and talk to other hams on the local repeater, I was only using 5 watt, but route was well lit, as it seemed to triggure every PIR in the area.

Sorry, not answering your question specifically. But masking parts of the PIR with insulation tape/foil tape, can be a simple way to block nuisance PIR activation.
To help avoid future issues, some external cable protection isn't very expensive, for only a couple of meters - example here:

yes Ive noticed these pir do sometimes act strange to say the least , Ive got 5 floodlights around the house.
So would the cable protection make it ok , still wondering why everytime that light has been changed..many times over the decade since halogen, why has no one else been bothered?
I mean, it would be ok if he had set the sensitivity lower I cant get up the ladder or angled it down
My main issue is how can insurance company change the light then refuse 1 week later to do anything stating the twin and earth is outside?
can they do that considering they have instigated the repairs and it is covered?

Sponsored Links
So would the cable protection make it ok ,
It will almost certainly be OK with the present cable and without any protection for at least 'a good few years'. Some of us have had twin and earth outside and exposed to the elements for decades without any problem
My main issue is how can insurance company change the light then refuse 1 week later to do anything stating the twin and earth is outside?
A very good question - which only 'they' could really answer!

Kind Regards, John

I've known T&E being fine for 50 years and still going, equally I've know T&E break down within only a couple or so years on a sea front south facing wall.

I'd expect a couple of decades of useful life, subject to environmental conditions

In my opinion modern T&E (Particularly low smoke varieties) is far less suitable for external use by a very long way than the older plastics.

100% agree, I just found out that the cable is facing away from the sun at the front of the house, way up high out of the way and was installed 1997. No issues ever.. Im just angry at them changing it then refusing to do so just as they didnt have enough time so they threw this excuse up

considering how long I have been paying them Il raise a complaint

Anyone know the legal standpoint on this twin and earth outside from an insurance repair angle?

100% agree, I just found out that the cable is facing away from the sun at the front of the house, way up high out of the way and was installed 1997. No issues ever.. Im just angry at them changing it then refusing to do so just as they didnt have enough time so they threw this excuse up
If it were me, I'd also be angry.
considering how long I have been paying them Il raise a complaint
I don't blame you.
Anyone know the legal standpoint on this twin and earth outside from an insurance repair angle?
I fear that might be down to what the small print of your insurance policy says. However, as you've been implying, the fact that they did the original work, using the outdoor T+E would presumably considerably weaken any argument they might have for not doing remedial work 'because of that cable'?

Kind Regards, John

Oh just to clarify it wasnt them that did the original job although its solid work, it was them whom around 1 year ago changed this light with the same set up AND last week changed it again as it went faulty....

I just wanted them to deal with it as its still not right so they refused to do so... So Im thinking why did one person change it now they wont change or adjust it... makes no sense

If anyone has any ideas on this, let me know I will lodge a complaint but it will take weeks to get a result as they refusing to do the job.
just seems against their own rules IMO, but will pursue it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back