Twin Pitched Roof, to single hip for loft conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at a property which is currently split into two flats and I'm wondering about the viability of adding another storey and potentially a whole extra flat in the roof space.

At the moment, as you can see from the attached pic (bottom one), there is a substantial twin pitched roof. I'm thinking of continuing the side with the two chimneys along, getting rid of the valley, and putting a flat roof at the top with some form of flat roof light, then dormers on the front and back.

I haven't inspected the roof structure inside yet, but assuming it's a traditional roof based on the age of the property, what's likely to be involved with getting rid of the valley, am I likely to be looking at replacing some (or all) of the roof with a steel structure, as in this link?

Also what's the possibility of being able to complete all this with the ground floor flat occupied, I'm guessing some kind of complete scaffold with a covering over the top? are they prohibitively expensive?

large-side-extension-and-loft-steel-roof-beams-photo-130321122513o.jpg
roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on the structural side of things other than the push from the two remaining hip ends can only be dealt with via some serious invasive structural work, should you need to open up the whole space.

Large canopy scaffolds are costly. Upwards of £5k for an average detached house. A fair bit more for yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back