twitter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Twitter basics.

The @ is used at the beggining of your registered username eg if you are registered as EddieM you would be @EddieM

If you want to send a message directly to someone you can click on their username which brings up their homepage and you can then use a box to message them directly.

the hashtag # is simply a way to allow twitter to search.

ie if someone posts something and adds a hashtag say #wimbledon

then if you select that hashtag name in your twitter search any tweets who have that hashtag attached will come up in a results list so you can see any other tweets related to that subject.

This is what causes 'trending' ie if there is a big media story or event then twitter lists the most popular hashtags.
The ones at the top of that list are said to be 'trending'

Basically follow people you might like to know info about or info they might impart.
I like motorsport so I follow Jeremy Clarkson , Tiff Needell and Jason Plato for example. their tweets come in on my feed so I can see what they are tweeting.

You may also have friends on twitter and if you learn how to use it you can contact them privately.

I see the most important aspect of twitter being instant communication.
Send a tweet and it's there straight away.
I don't know the mechanics of the servers etc but the one thing I think twitter could be useful for is if you have an accident or something you can get a message out to get assistance with probably more reliability or certainty than sending a text or making a phone call.

You may also have friends on twitter and if you learn how to use it you can contact them privately.

I don't, hardly anyone I know uses facebook, to contact my friends privately I use a phone.

I think I may have reached dinosaur status.

Although Twitter has the facility for direct or private messaging, that is not the point of Twitter

It is really for broadcasting a message, or specifically information to a wide audience. The message must be brief, but it can include a link to more details

Someone might feel the need to get a message out there, but many just post crap for the sake of it

But for getting information direct from people or organisations that interest you, you wont beat it.

As an example, I can get almost instant details of motorway hold ups - a brief location and a link to a live map showing more detail. Or messages about discounts etc from merchants, or latest legal rulings, or what the Police helicopter was doing over my house at 3 AM

Just subscribe to the people or organisations that interest you - you don't need to post anything

Although Twitter has the facility for direct or private messaging, that is not the point of Twitter

It is really for broadcasting a message, or specifically information to a wide audience. The message must be brief, but it can include a link to more details

Someone might feel the need to get a message out there, but many just post crap for the sake of it

But for getting information direct from people or organisations that interest you, you wont beat it.

As an example, I can get almost instant details of motorway hold ups - a brief location and a link to a live map showing more detail. Or messages about discounts etc from merchants, or latest legal rulings, or what the Police helicopter was doing over my house at 3 AM

Just subscribe to the people or organisations that interest you - you don't need to post anything

Thank you, but I don't think I'll bother, I'm not really interested in what people do, say or think. Apart from the ones I see on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
Back