Two Lights 1 double switch - How to wire switch?

The outside light is a 500W Halogen light which will be positioned 3 metres above the porch on the wall directly underneath the eaves of the roof. The cable will run along the eaves and down the apex of two wall through the frame of the door to the switch, approx 5m.

The cable I was sold by the local electrical shop is '3 core round flex' rated to 3amp and 750w.

Illegal because the job has to be carried out and signed off by someone who is qualified or are you referencing the schematic?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Won't work, as you would be breaking the law. Where is this outside light being fitted, where will the cable run and what sort cable will you use?? If you order the fused spur CJ linked to, remove the 13 amp fuse and replace with 5amp. ;)

It wont work because it's illegal? How does the electricity know that?

OP, although I wouldn't openly condone breaking building regulations on an open forum, may I suggest that if you do decide to carry out this work, there is no need for you to worry about the wattage of your floodlights - you wont have to prove building regs compliance anyway.

The outside light is a 500W Halogen light
That's obscene - I hope that if you do go ahead you have a neighbour who knows what the regulations are and drops you right in it.

Unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if as much as a quarter of UK houses have a 500w flood in their back yard - it certainly seems to be the case round here.

Well, the 500w Halogen is already existing and has done so for 10+ years I am merely re-routing the power, which as it stands is plugged into an upstairs 13amp socket. The house is detached and not overlooked by any neighbours and the one light lights a 1/2 acre garden. I am adding a downstairs switch so I don't have to go upstairs every time I want to go outside in the dark.

If you can recommend an alternative that would be less 'obscene' and fit within the guidelines I would be happy to listen.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back