Two Master Sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I recently purchased a house and have only just got round to testing all the phone sockets.

Basically, I have followed the overhead cables to where they join the house and they appear to enter the house in two locations. First question ... is that even possible or am I looking at this completely wrong??

Only one of the sockets actually works, which is an old LJ2/1A socket (downstairs).

Upstairs I have a newer BT NET5 socket (see image), but this doesn't work. I can't work out why as it seems to connect directly to the overhead cables. Is there something wrong with the wiring?

In summary:

1. Can you have two master sockets in one house?

2. Is the wiring in the picture attached to blame for the faulty socket?

Thanks

Nick

View media item 45880 View media item 45881

Sponsored Links
As you can see in the image the orange and white wires aren't even connected?

Are there 2 overhead cables entering your house?
If so ,i would say the previous owner had 2 seperate phone lines installed hence the nte5 upstairs and the 2/1a downstairs.Again,if this is the situation,you will only get both sockets to work by running a cable between them.(2 master sockets on 1 line will work)

Sponsored Links
If you go to the junction box where the overhead cable meets your wall and splits, you will find an orange white on the incoming line is carrying your phone line. Connect this to the green black of the cable going to the upstairs NTE socket as well as what it's already connected to and both sockets will work for 15mins work. Use waterproof scotch connecters and make sure you close the box securely to stop water coming in. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back