Two way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two way light and want to replace one switch with a dimmer switch but obviously still leave it two-wayed. Can this be done, and if so how does one go about it?

Sponsored Links
Two ways:

1) With a 2-way dimmer switch at one end, and a normal switch at the other. The drawback is that you can only adjust the level from one end, so if you turn it on at the switch, and it's not the right brightness, you have to go to the dimmer to change it.

2) With a master-slave dimmer, so that you have full dimming control from each location. The drawback here is the cost...

ban-all-sheds said:
2) With a master-slave dimmer, so that you have full dimming control from each location. The drawback here is the cost...

not to mention the enquies we get on here because it doesn't work first time

and the fact that not all forms of two way wiring can be converted to master-slave without adding/replacing wiring

Sponsored Links
Would you mind repeating how to wire master / slave 2 way 2 gang dimmers - assuming it is done from scratch , so no exisiting wiring to modify.

Or please direct me to a post that covers it - I've searched with no luck

Thanks is advance.

its NOT done from scratch, that is the whole point, it depends on if your 2 way wiring is done "normaly" (as in the sticky for reference)

but from the post on here about them they seem to be a lot of trouble

a1topdog said:
Would you mind repeating how to wire master / slave 2 way 2 gang dimmers - assuming it is done from scratch , so no exisiting wiring to modify.
REMWIRE2.gif

That's how these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_5/index.html are wired up, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back